Starting planters

DannyBoyD

Registered User
Messages
4,063
Now that the rain has finally stopped & the garden looking a bit tidier.

Is it too early to start the planter boxes?

I'm thinking of doing just lavender plants this year, would they be hardier if there's an odd morning frost?

I'm not much of a gardener - neat & tidy is pretty much my aim; but the smaller planter boxes work well for me.
 
I have English lavender in my garden by the coast, and it thrives. As above, it just needs a good decent prune every autumn. It can be tricky to take sometimes, I started with 6 tiny plants, 4 of them took & are thriving, 2 didnt!
 
Gardener I spoke to recently mentioned that lavender has really struggled with all the rain we’ve had for months now, lots of it is woody and they’re replacing hundreds. It apparently won’t grow back well if cut back to the woody growth, so if it’s all like that I think a light trim is all you can safely do now. That’s what he did with ours anyway.
 
Back
Top