Starting a Family During a Recession - Hugely Anxious About It - Advice Please

Even if you get pregnant tonight it would be 15 or more months before going back to work... Things could have changed in your workplace by then, or things might change with your husbands work. Nobody can predict the future. Go for it now and take things as they come.

, I really don't mean this negatively but for your consideration only, fertility is hugely affected by age. There are higher chances of syndromes the older you are, and lots more to consider. I am 25, which is an ideal age for pregnancy and I am exhausted everyday, uncomfortable, moody, and as my husband puts it, living with me can be like a minefield. .

I hope the OP isn't discouraged by this. Everyone's different and every pregnancy is different. I was in my 30s for both of my pregnancies and sailed through them. I worked right up to each child was born- I was even in work the actual day my second was born.

Consider the question asked! Do you see something scary for me down the road?

Thanks very much for the additional responses. It's got the mental cogs going, and I'm beginning to develop a vision of how much stress could be neutralised by one of us being at home. Cheers!

This previous thread may be useful info wise and it would be a good idea for you to post the figures in the template on the Money Makeover forum so that others can give you some financial advice.

Will I be kicked off this site if I come back to ask for breast-feeding tips? Don't worry. That's a joke. Well actually, that *is* a legitimate money-saver question when you think about it! Formula and sterilisers are 'spensive! :)

Bronte's advice is good :)

No problem on breast feeding tips, another expertise of mine :D it's the only way to go. Sadly though I heard the statistic for Ireland was only 5% which is quite shocking. I don't think the lads on here like talking about it though, but it is allowed, but maybe you'd be better off on one of the mums websites.

You just need to ask yourself one question: If I got pregnant accidentally how would I feel? You will never regret having a baby but if you don't go for it you sure will regret it.

I'm so so glad we didn't wait. My son isn't even here and I am besotted already with every movement he makes. He has already given me so much happiness that there is no way this was a wrong decision - I feel far too content for it to be so. Its already given me a new perspective on things - I'm more patient and relaxed about every aspect of my life, which is odd as I'm usually a stress bucket. What used to be vitally important no longer is.

That's a lovely post, so glad to see someone so happy. Congratulations dmos87.

I hope the OP isn't discouraged by this. Everyone's different and every pregnancy is different. I was in my 30s for both of my pregnancies and sailed through them. I worked right up to each child was born- I was even in work the actual day my second was born.

My post wasn't meant to discourage her, the complete opposite! I know that every woman's body reacts differently to pregnancy, and other than the exhaustion and moodiness :eek: I have been very lucky in comparison to most of the women I know or work with. One thing that is generally universal is the tiredness you feel. I am still working, 7 weeks to go until I finish up.

What I meant to point out with this was that starting a new job in a new company while you are going through such a huge physical and mental change can be overwhelming. I have to agree with others, stay where you are and take the full maternity leave, decisions can be made while you are out. And definitely leave the laptop at work on holidays!!

Pearl, just adding my two cents in here, I stayed in a job I disliked for a couple of years (had been there 4 already) while waiting to get pregnant. I'm now nearly 39 and still not pregnant, we've been trying nearly 4 years. I ended up moving on. I think if you can get a new job that you enjoy better than you do the current one (and it is soul destroying working in a job with someone you intensely dislike, I know) then go for it. Because you mightn't get pregnant that quickly. Hopefully you will but it's just not guaranteed, so don't put your life on hold for something that may take longer than you expect to happen.

M

The idea of hubby being the homemaker seems like a very good option but he needs to be sure this is what he wants. Would he consider taking his 14 weeks Parental leave when you return from Maternity leave. If he is happy in the new role then continue, if not return to work.

I think most parents will agree that the costs of one child in creche may be manageable but 2 + mortgage, travel,tax and other associated work costs wipes out the second salary.

Don't forget Homemakers PRSI credits to protect his pension. I realize I'm jumping way ahead with but it needs to be taken into account for when you are both grandparents!

Best of luck with whatever you decide

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it immensely. I since had a convo with the hubby about the prospect of being a stay-at-home Dad. He wasn't really up for it. Was sort of horrified at the suggestion. He's hoping to move job in the short term to eliminate the money-drain of the commute.

Since I last wrote, I have discovered that I am "a little bit pregnant". This happened *way* quicker than expected, so we spent the past weekend letting the reality sink in.

So I guess the decision is made for the moment. Stay put, and try to find a way of coping with my sociopath of a colleague.

Thanks everyone - no doubt we'll meet again in the money makeover section at some point over the next few months!

Just a wee update on my situation + a question. So my husband has surprised me by switching job from the one that paid 32K to one that pays 50K. It's in Dublin, so will save loads of money on petrol too. I just used some tax calculators to see what the difference in his take home would be. It seems that a salary hike of 18K equates to a take-home hike of just 6K. Pretty sure this is just the nature of the beast with the tax bands. It's the first time I have come face to face with the impact (I've only ever worked in Ireland at the higher rate) and am kind of astonished. I would love to hear that I have miscalculated!

Shouldn't lose that much, would have thought it would be nearer to 50%+

(Must have missed your last updates, congratulations!)

I would have thought that your husband would be gaining a bit over 8K in take home pay

Sorry - just used the calc on Deloitte.ie.

So 32K gross gave him take home of 27.9K, while 50K gross gives him take home of 38.6K.

So a hike of 18K gross amounts to a hike of just over 10.7K net.

Today I learned that Irish taxation is very harsh once you cross into that upper band. Sheesh. If we could point to excellent public services to justify it.......

I suppose I should look into joint assessment. Does that usually work out better for married folk?

As you can probably tell, we're pretty clueless.

Hi Pearl,

Sorry I missed your good news, congratulations.

If you try using www.taxcalc.eu it should be able to help with the calculations. If not you could post on the money makeover forum or tax to see if anyone can advise you there.

I was going to say that the stay at home husband is a good idea (if he's agreeable, of course. I know someone who is a stay at home dad and he will never go back to work , even when the children are grown up :). But he's dead happy in his role !
I'm not sure if I should be replying to this thread :eek: :)

Back