Start Up Business - Importing from China

Katman

Hi

I am in the initial stages of looking into the viability of setting up a business whereby I import goods from China and supply to the smaller retail operations in Ireland.
I have contacted enterprise ireland and others like it but it seems that they are only interested in helping exporters, not importers. I have tried to research it on the net but I feel like I'm only poking around in the dark
At this stage I need to speak to someone (is there a forum / chat room where wholesale importers network / share thoughts? Would anyone know who or what organisation I should contact?
You might ask: what goods will I be dealing in? Frankly, I don't know yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I know it's fairly vague information but I want to take my next baby step but I'm not quite sure how or where.

Thanks.

My accountants wife is importing furntiture from China and selling it to people outfitting their appartments. She also runs a property management company, mostly student stuff, and sells the furniture to the owners of these apartments. She told me recently that the mark up on furniture in Ireland was unreal, and that a sofa in China would be E150.00 and a table and chairs about E75.00. I don't know if she is supported by any organisation, but she probably doesn't need to be given that her hubby is an accountant and she also runs a property management company. I don't know if this info is any help.

I know a company that manufactures, sources and imports from China. I don't know the people involved very well but they are Irish registered. They may be able to help but they will look for a return from you. You can PM me for details if you like. If you do use them, or any other company or agent, make sure that they can't cut you out of the loop. Have a non-disclosure agreement in place and see if you can have a non-compete agreement as well. Get a good solicitor to check this out as non compete agreements can be against competition law. If you have an agent make sure that they can't go after you for commission after you have stopped using them.

Has anyone used DHL to ship goods from China? They take care of the all the red tape(customs, import duty, VAT etc.). This cuts out a lot of hassle if you're not experienced in this area, but I wonder do they charge a lot for the service. Very interested to hear of anyone's experiences with them.

We have used UPS and Expeditors. UPS are very expensive. Sea shipping is the only way to go. Airfreight is about 20 times more expensive and takes 4-5 days. Shipping takes 35-38 days. Make sure your supplier is near a port or it will be more expensive.

Back