Standards for rental accommodation

The inspector may well be correct, but I would confirm this independently first.

You can read the regulations as well as the inspector. His interpretation does not have the force of law.

If you disagree with him ask for his opinion in writing. He may well back off.
Ok, I didn't know that. I'll have a chat with him and see what might work. Thanks

So the kitchen was built with a hob without any external vent ? Wow.
Why does that surprise you? I'm surprised you're surprised. I've seen chimney breasts in the middle of a bedroom where the double bed is supposed to be, toilet seat in en suite so tight you can't actually close the door, built in wardrobes impossible to open as the room is too small, handicapped toilet that you can't get a wheelchair to because the hall is too narrow, front door wide enough for a wheel chair but all bedrooms upstairs. And that's without the serious stuff like fire walls missing or using some kind of washing up liquid to glue bricks together.

Bronte - All you describe is in houses/buildings which were turned into flats long before any regulations were intoduced. I'm thinking Rathmines in the 70/80s here. The OP gave me the impression they were an apartment in a purpose bult block which are a relatively new concept in Dublin and which I would expect proper ventialtion built in.

Yes, purpose built in 2004, one of hundreds in a planned estate in Dublin 15. The extractor fan has a hose that just sits on the top of the kitchen cabinets and is just open back into the kitchen.

Yes, purpose built in 2004, one of hundreds in a planned estate in Dublin 15. The extractor fan has a hose that just sits on the top of the kitchen cabinets and is just open back into the kitchen.
I think something like that could be fine if there's a carbon filter fitted? I'm open to correction.

I think something like that could be fine if there's a carbon filter fitted? I'm open to correction.

They were fine for building regs when those units were built, but the rental accommodation standards set a higher, and take no account for when a property was built.

Can I ask opinions on bathroom ventilation requirements. Interpretations of the new regulations housing standards 2019. Is a mechanical extraction ventilation mandatory in your opinions?

There’s talk of landlords being compelled to upgrade the BER of their properties. If they don’t do so the may need to reimbursement their tenants for the additional heating costs.

I had an LA/hap housing inspection last week. After receiving a report from council,
I need to fit upstairs window restrictors, 2 carbon monoxide alarms. A mechanical extractor in bathroom.
A permanent ventilation vent of 6500mm in the kitchen.

The first two items I’ve no issues with. However the ventilation requirements I find are a bit ridiculous. As the main bathroom has a window plus wall vent and no history of ventilation problems?
Secondly the kitchen item also annoys me as, there’s two large windows and an extraction fan over the cooker. Also after looking up the new regulations these requirements aren’t specified, it only states that adequate ventilation is required.

I researched HAP inspections last year before I signed up to it. The online consensus at the time was that inspections rarely happen, if they do it’s after six months or so, and are usually a formality.
I was surprised when I received an email with three pages of issues.
Same items as yours. Fortunately my tenants are independent and he’s very handy. The one job he couldn’t do himself he got a buddy to do it at mate rates. This was the only expense they passed onto me, though I did insist on giving them a decent One4All voucher.

I’m not saying the inspection requirement would put me off HAP, but I’d lived in the house myself for six years without these additions. My tenant electing to sort it all out saved me a lot of hassle.

Back