Standard Life Shares

Citygirl

Hi,

I was wondering if any one could advise me on the following. My mam recently received a letter from Standard Life saying that shewas eligible for 213 shares in Standard Life Plc worth approx €665.45. In order to claim the shares she must fill out a form stating whether to keep them or to sell them and receive the cash.

Any advice on what to do should she hold on to them for a couple or more years or cash in on them now.

Thanks

Hi Citygirl...

One thing the last couple of years has shown us is that asking for advice from the 'experts' doesn't always pay dividends...

Shares are always a gamble no matter how solid the company seems, we have seen that with many companies the last few years such as with our main banks, as well as banks abroad.

Banks were regarded as safe as houses up to this year.

The stock market is in a state of volatility...that means large one day falls and large one day rises.

In this scenario, it would be like your mother betting her money on the toss of a coin.

No-one can predict the short/medium term future re shares and so if I personally was in your mother's position I would take the cash, because none of us know when the bottom of the share/banking crisis will be hit.

Back