Stamps & JB and JA all new to this HELP!!

A

AnneC88

Hi

Basically i need lots of help on this subject as i have no-one to get advice from!

I am 21 years old. I have just returned from a 3 month stint in Oz. So left my full time job(who said they would keep my job for me if i returned, turns out if its not in writing then its worth nothing) on the basis that i would have a job in Oz, promised to me from a friend, when i arrived. This fell through almost immediately and since i was out there spent all of my savings on food & accommodation while looking for another job. In failing to find another job reluctantly i had to return home.

So i am now living at home with parents(whom i don't get on with & doesn't help matters that i have no income to support myself so i am depending on them for everything and a few times they have threatened to kick me out. One more argument & i am out the door)

I went to down to my local social welfare office with all my details, p45, mum and dads payslips mortgage payment receipts etc ( 23july) she said that unfortunately i didn't have enough stamps. So getting to my first question(finally!)

1. How many stamps are required to qualify for JB?
I assumed since i have been working since i was 16,(Part time 2005-2007. Full time employment 2007 - 2009 )that i would have enough stamps with that??

So since i didnt have enough stamps she said that i would qualify for JA.

This is means tested. However since 23 July i havent heard no word from them so took a trip down to CWO the last week of Aug and they informed me that they were waiting on a decision.

I went down the following week and they said that it was ready for a decision. I enquired would they be able to give me a rough estimate of what i'm would be receiving from JA. They said they couldnt tell me but they gave me a cheque for E204.30. And was told that i would get this every week just go down with my Social Welfare Card to Post Office. SO this brings me on to my 2nd Question(2/3!)

2. Would they be paying me this a week and then when it turns out that i would only be entitled to less. How will they expect me to pay it back??

Or do you think that maybe this is what i will actually be receiving??

AND FINALLY.......

3. JA
My parents weekly income combined is E700. I have two brothers under 18 who they are claiming for and they have mortage repayments monthly of E580. Can anyone work out what i am entitled to roughly it would be great.

Cheers

Anne x

I

Have a read of the post "guide for unemployed people" in the Redundancy forum, it should answer most of your questions regarding PRSI contributions, Jobseeker's Benefit and how to qualify.

The amount of money you are receiving from the CWO is based on a means test carried out by the CWO. If the means test carried out by the SW office results in a lesser amount (unlikely as the means tests are very similar when assessing parental income), you do not have to repay anything. The arrears of JA will be held and refunded to the HSE.

I posted some information on benefit and privilege on AAM recently, if you do a search you should find how the means test is carried out. Alternatively, go to www.welfare.ie and search for benefit & privilege.

Back