Stamping Charges - Mortgage

Mojos

I purchased an investment property about 12 months ago. All went well regarding this transaction. However, I received from the bank through which I arranged the mortgage the following bill just 3 days ago:

Securities Stamping Fee 35.00 Euro
Revenue Stamping Fee 520.00 Euro

I was never told about these charges in advance of arranging the loan, so as you can imagine it came as a bit of a shock.

The note with the bill stated the following:

"This Fee and outlay have been incurred in connection with the re-use of existing security for new Facilities. The Fee abnd Outlay as outlined is now being charged to your account."

My query is should I just agree to pay this amount (535.00 Euro) to the bank, or should I make a fuss over it based on the fact that I was never told about this charge in advance of arranging the loan ?

Have you asked your solicitor and/or lender why they never informed you about these charges until now? From what I can see they are stamp duties on the documents which should have been charged/paid at the time (within 30 days of closing) and, as such, non negotiable since they are payable to Revenue. Since it's an investment property these charges should qualify as allowable expenses when calculating CGT on any eventual resale gain.

Back