Stamp Duty or Not?

U

Unregistered

Are we liable for stamp duty, if I am a FTB but not my wife? she co owns our home with her sister and now we are buying it out?

Unregistered said:
Are we liable for stamp duty, if I am a FTB but not my wife? she co owns our home with her sister and now we are buying it out?

you are only a ftb is everyone involved is it... the only way around this is to leave her off the deads....

this could usually lead to problems , but I think they are all coved with you been married...

If your wife is already a half owner, then what is happening is that you are buying half the house from her sister- so really only half the value of the house is in transfer- presumably to you and you are a FTB- so I dont see the problem.

Just got feedback from our solicoitor who advises that we will have to pay some stamp duty based on the following; value of half share of house is €200K to be transferred into our names. Because I am a stranger in blood to my wifes sistser the rate of stamp duty is 4% according to the revenue. However if the initial transfer was to my wife, becuase they are related they would be entitled to a relief know as consanguinity relief - in effect only half the rate of duty would apply in this instance - 2%. Has anyone come accross this?

I think you should look into this a little more. There are a number of ways in which the transfer can be effected- the first is whereby you and your wife buy your sister in laws share- in this way you will get neither the FTB relief or consanguinity relief. The second is that your wife buys your sister-in-laws share- in this way, she will get consanguinity relief- i.e stamp duty will be halved because of the blood relation. But if you need to raise a mortgage to do so, the financial institution may require both of your names to be on the title if you do not qualify for the mortgage based solely on your wifes salary or income- NOTE some banks will allow the title to be in one persons name, and the mortgage to be in joint names, so check with your bank. Finally, you could buy your sister in laws half share in your name- you should qualify for FTB relief, your wife already owns the other half so this seems the best option.

Back