Stamp Duty on Budapest Property?

There is nothng to stop somebody with access to Land Registration records from sending out bills on lookalike Sigma notepaper with their own bank account details.

Agreed . Thats how many phony invoice scams work. They can also impersonate well known brands but have the logo and name changed slightly, not changed enough to stop the suckers paying but changed enough to make it more difficult to sue them for trademark infringement.

Hi PaddyD,

Did you mail the case officer? If so, any reply? I received a similar letter 2 weeks ago, by my calculations it is about 1k over what I was expecting. I mailed the case officer for clarification but have not had any reply.

Hi PaddyD,

Did you mail the case officer? If so, any reply? I received a similar letter 2 weeks ago, by my calculations it is about 1k over what I was expecting. I mailed the case officer for clarification but have not had any reply.

nope, nadda in repsonse;emailled them Thursday last. Theres a direct phone number to the case officer too; I'll try in the New Year after a few more email prompts.

Seems a bit odd they wouldn't respond to direct emails, considering they put the case-officers details on the letter!; hardly going to make us rush out and transfer money to them.

Not losing any sleep over it TBH. I just need a little more proof :)

Email and Hungarians doesn't usually work well together, particularly if that email is in English.

Perhaps the difference in calculation is due to a parking space/storage space, which is charged at the higher rate of 10%?

Thanks Budapest, I will check that out. In your experience, should I take seriously the "pay in 30 days or suffer penalties " clause?

Yes, I would take it very seriously. They will automatically charge you interest if the payment is overdue and you will have a debt with the tax authority.

Some of the facts I read about this are a little dubious.

In the Sunday Tribune article of November 29th (http://www.tribune.ie/business/news/article/2009/nov/29/holiday-home-owners-to-get-offer/), he claims that "Prices soared as high as €4,000 per sq metre before the recent property and economic crisis that enveloped the country last year.... Despite the collapse in the local property market, Conway said Hungarian property agents were still charging foreigners as much as 8% commission to sell their properties."

Prices never soared and collapsed as he suggests and there was no property crisis last year or anytime recently. The market has been close to flat since 2003, with some exceptions. Hungary missed out on both the global property upturn as well as much of the subsequent downturn.

Back on subject, there have been some recent changes in stamp duty on Budapest property. As of January 1st 2010, the two higher rates, which used to be 6% and sometimes 10% (commercial, storage space, parking space) have both been reduced to 4%.

Hi guys,
I got another reminder for the stamp duty again yesterday (same amount, no interest added). Its now well over 5 years since I purchased.

This bill is for the stamp duty due on the purchase cost above 15m HUF at the 2% (apartment) and 6% (parking space) as Neil calculated here. It all adds up fine.

Thats ok, no problem there.

But I don't understand why I paid 'sale duty' five years ago

Whats the difference?

EDIT: I dug out the bill from '05/06. it contains a flat tax of 10% on the parking, and then the normal stamp duty rates of the remaining amounts over 15m.

This new bill has no parking listed, and re-lists the normal stamp duty rates on the total amount over 15m.

But is this not double-billing? I've paid 10% on parking before, now I'm paying another 6% on the same amount

Back