Stamp Duty on a second Site transferred from Parent to Child

Darth Vader

I am aware that a site transferred from a Parent to child will not incur Stamp Duty if the site is to be used to build a family home and the value it below €254,000.
If the parent then transfers a second site some years later, what ar the stamp duty, tax implications for the child?

If the second site transfer is now, then it is liable to stamp duty at half the normal rate for non-residential property depending on its value. Also the value is taken into account for CAT- aggregated with the value of the site transferred previously, and there is a possibility of CGT for the transferor depending on the value.

If it is in the future, hang on, let me get out my crystal ball....

Does that mean that transfers of sites from Father to Son are liable to stamp duty at half the normal rate, no matter how many sites are transferred?

Does that mean that transfers of sites from Father to Son are liable to stamp duty at half the normal rate, no matter how many sites are transferred?

Yes - its called "consanguinity relief" - transfers/ conveyances of property between related parties get a relief - duty payable at "half the ad valorem rate" - but as Vanilla points out, there are other tax issues to be considered as well.

mf

Vanilla said:
there is a possibility of CGT for the transferor depending on the value.

The site is valued at €90,000. The site will be used to build a family home on, however, the father previously gifted a site to his son to build a family home, which he now intends to sell.

where does this leave me on cgt?

Back