stamp duty liability

selfbuild

Myself & Mrs. SB recently purchased a new build investment property with a view to renting it out. Before completion, our solicitor looked for payment for his own fees, but when I asked him about stamp duty, he said we were not liable for as the house was a new build.

When the solicitor rang me for our PPS numbers, in order to send the deeds off for stamping, I again asked him about stamp duty liability and even though I pointed out that we wre not first time buyers (we already have a PPR) and that this was an investment property, he still insisted that as the house was a new build and we were not liable for stamp duty.

I think our solicitor is wrong - are we liable for stamp duty? If we are, how do we go about calculating and paying it?

Thanks in advance

SB

As it's an investment property, you are definitely liable for stamp duty if the property costs more than 127,000 euro. In this scenario, there is no difference between the way a new or second hand property is dealt with.

Stamp Duty Rates for Investors
less than 127,000 Exempt
€127,001 - €190,500 3%
€190,501 - €254,000 4%
€254,001 - €317,500 5%
€317,501 - €381,000 6%
€381,001 - €635,000 7.5%
Over €635,000 9%

Moving in to your new property could save you stamp. (your current house could become your investment property.)
Depending on price and size owner occupiers of new houses do not need to pay stamp - even if its not your first house.

It may be worth looking into.

Back