Stamp duty - FTB or not?

N

Nemotoid

I currently am currently living with my fiance with the house mortgage and deeds held in my name only.

We are getting married in July and are planning to use whatever gifts as a deposit to buy a second house.

Is it possible for my then wife to buy this second house in her name only and avail of the First Time Buyers Stamp Duty relief or will she be deemed to now own 1/2 of my property therefore no longer being a first time buyer?

Any advice would be appreciated!

From [broken link removed]:

What is the position where a person, being a first time buyer, purchases a house using the proceeds of the sale of a house owned by their spouse or partner who is not a first time buyer?

Where a person who is a first time buyer uses the proceeds of the sale of the house they previously occupied which was owned solely by their spouse or partner to buy a house solely in their own name, first time buyer relief would not be available as the spouse or partner (not being a first time buyer) would be providing the purchase monies for the house.

While you are not selling the first house, it would appear that if you are providing any of the purchase money (i.e. repaying the mortgage or using the money gifts that are presumable 50% yours) then TFB relief would not be available.

Is it possible for my then wife to buy this second house in her name only and avail of the First Time Buyers Stamp Duty relief

You can only avail of the first time buyers reliefs provided you are living in it. As she will be living with you it will not be her PPR and you will have to pay the investors Stamp duty rate

CCOVICH said:
Please don't duplicate posts (refer to the Posting Guidelines).

Point taken, attempted to change the posts thread but wasnt an obvious means to do so...apologies

Nemotoid said:
Point taken, attempted to change the posts thread but wasnt an obvious means to do so...apologies

No problem. Only moderators/administrators can move posts/threads.

asdfg said:
You can only avail of the first time buyers reliefs provided you are living in it. As she will be living with you it will not be her PPR and you will have to pay the investors Stamp duty rate

Ouch....she'll be funding the deposit & mortgage from her 50% of the wedding gift so maybe i could tempt her to stop commuting and buy a house in the town she travels to, she would be staying there "5 nights a week" in that case thus making it her P.R.R.?

Looks like i ain't got any choice other than to pony up in that case...either that or persuade her to get the skates on and buy pre-wedding

Back