Stamp duty - FTB buying with a property owner

T

Tiki

Hi all

I am a first time buyer but unfortunately my boyfriend owns his own apartment. We are now looking to buy a house together - but I want to know if we are still fully liable for stamp duty?

Is it possible to put the deeds of the house in my name only and therefore not be liable for stamp duty?

Please help! The mortgage advisor said it was possible but we have some doubts.......

Thannks a million!!

No. Won't work. Read Revenue guidelines on FTB's.

You personally can buy a property with your own money and your own mortgage but once your partner is on the mortgage, he is paying towards it and FTB relief does not apply.

mf

What is the position where the purchase monies are not provided entirely by the first time buyer?

To qualify for the relief the entirety of the purchase monies, including any borrowings, must be provided by the first time buyer. Any person, who provides part of the purchase monies or who is a party to any borrowings relating to such purchase, is also regarded as a buyer of the house and the relief will not be available unless that other person is also a first time buyer

www.moneybackmortgages.ie

Hi
My friend had the same dilemma last year and the answer was no, you cannot take out a joint mortgage and only put the property in your name to avoid stamp duty. Apparently the Revenue are really cracking down on people who did this in the past

Back