Stamp duty for owner/non occupier?

S

sean123

I have just purchased a new 2 bed apartment in county meath with the intention of living in it and renting out the second room to help with the payments of my mortgage.I then got good and bad news in that I have been offered a really good job where it would be impossible for me to commute to from County meath!I am thinking of renting the whole apartment now even just temporarily until I can decide what to do with it so that I can accept the job and rent a place myself near to the new job.My question is would I now be liable for some kind of stamp duty/tax because I will no longer be owner/occupier?

You would be liable for a if the property ceases to be your PPR and/or you rent it out for more than €6,720 p.a. You will also no longer qualify for owner occupier [broken link removed] but will be able to offset mortgage interest against rental income as per the Property Investment FAQ. You will most likely need to inform your lender and put in place alternative (non owner occupier) insurance. When you sell the property some of the gain linked to the period that it was rented out will be assessable for CGT.

Back