Stamp duty & Equity release

help_me

We have bought brand –new apartment (Wicklow) in Feb 2004(as first-time buyers).

We had to move the Dublin because of our jobs. We started living in rented accommodation & rented out our apartment in Wicklow.

Currently, we are thinking of putting a deposit for brand new house (Dublin) – perhaps this month. Also want to retain our Wicklow property.

We have few queries on stamp duty:
  • Should we pay a stamp duty on our property? If yes -Which property should we pay?
  • Even if our rent does not cover our mortgage- Should we pay stamp duty on Wicklow property?
We have few queries on equity release:
  • We are thinking of releasing equity from our first property? Is it a good move?
  • Should we go for combined mortgage?
  • Would Dublin property–bank, able to release equity for Wicklow property. As we are thinking of different bank this time.
Our mortgage advisor is not good…. Time is ticking.

We are desperate to get help. As we don't want to loose our booking deposit nor Dublin property.

Thanks in advance

Hi
If you are renting your 1st property, Stamp duty has to be paid as you be classed as an investor because you have started to rent it out within 5yrs of purchase.

A clawback arises if rent is obtained from the letting of the house or apartment for a period of 5 years from the date of the conveyance or transfer, other than under the rent-a-room scheme. The clawback amounts to the difference between the higher stamp duty rates and the duty paid and it becomes payable on the date that rent is first received from the property. A clawback will not arise where the property is sold to an unrelated third party during the 5-year period.

With relation to the new apartment. If its under 125sq mtrs no stamp duty is liable.

If you are going to equity release, you will only be able to release up to 90% of the Market value. You could switch to an interest only mortgage on the RIP for a couple of years in order to offset the rental income with the mortgage interest. Freeing up some equity in order to purchase the place in dublin.

Any queries please email me, I'm a mortgage broker!

[email protected]

Back