Stamp Duty Changes FTB

S

scudder

My husband and I bought a house in April and paid stamp duty on it. My husband was a FTB but I was not. Are we entitled to reclaim any of the SD under the new bill?

Are both of your names on the deeds? If so, then no, you cannot reclaim anything.

I bought over a year and half ago and my Brother seems to think i will be due something back?

It is only backdated to 31/3/07 I am afraid....

From todays Irish times

It will apply to instruments executed on or after March 31st, 2007, and where stamp duty has been paid in respect of such an instrument before the Bill becomes law, a provision has been included to allow for a repayment of that duty."
Under existing provisions, no stamp duty is paid on houses or apartments worth less than €317,501. Between that figure and €381,000, 3 per cent is paid. On houses between €381,001 and €635,000, the rate is 6 per cent; for houses or apartments over that figure, the rate is 9 per cent.
The new measure will abolish stamp duty for all first-time purchasers. According to the latest figures from the Permanent TSB/ESRI house price index, the change will not affect the average first-time buyer, who paid €278,000 to buy a house or apartment in April.

Maybe he was talking about the Interest refief

A Department of Finance spokesman told ireland.com that the Government also intends to raise the ceiling on mortgage interest relief for first-time buyers in Budget 2008.

The relief will be raised from €8,000 to €10,000 for single people and from €16,000 to €20,000 for couple back-dated for seven years as pledged in the programme for government, he said.

Is stamp duty gone altogether or just for first time buyers?

No it's not gone altogether. All First Time Buyer Owner-occupiers will be exempt from stamp duty under the new rules on all sizes of residential property, new or second-hand. The existing rules apply to all other scenarios.

Hello,

We bought our house last march the 27th to be exact is when we signed the contracts but the stamp duty was not paid until 1 month later 28th April 2007 can you please advise if there is any grounds to appeal a refund, our solicitor has left the company and I do not understand the legal terms of what I have read. We made a payment of €24,300.00 and we are both fist time buyers, all advise is greatly appreciated.

Regards

If you were both first time buyers then you should not have paid any stamp duty UNLESS you were buying as investors (ie to rent out the house).

Apologies, because your purchase was finalised prior to 31 March 2007 you would have been liable to stamp duty. It is very unfortunate that your sale closed on the 27 March. You should check that the 27 March is definitely the date of the deed under which you took the property.

Back