St. Lucia: What are your views on this particular market?

Rosinsky

Has anyone invested here?
What are your views on this particular market?
Any major issues that I should be aware of?

Re: St. Lucia

St Lucia, while beautiful is a serious crime hot spot. Remember the Murders of the 2 doctors on honeymoon in the caribbean a few months ago (not on St Lucia)? Well on St Ludia there are Rape and murder of tourists at least once a month. Googling it should get you more info. Its nice for a week but i wouldnt want to live there.

I am more interested from an investment point of view. Will properties "move" out there? We know the market is flat in general in Europe but will this be the case in St. Lucia.

No one could give you a definitive answer as to whether a market will "move" or not.

However, I think you were given some pertinent info. in the previous replies. This would be the type of thing that buyers would be researching before they buy and as it is quite negative it could be a reason not to personally buy in St. Lucia.

Therefore maybe it would be wise for you to consider these replies when considering wil the market "move".

Hi Rosinsky,

I have recently returned from living in St. Lucia. PM if you like. To say that "Rape and murder of tourists at least once a month" is just made up lies. There has been far more attacks on tourists in Ireland than in St. Lucia. There has not been a random murder of a tourist for many many years. It is a very beautiful place and great for holidays etc.

All that having been said, I would say that you are more likely to have property in Iraq or the Congo increase in value in coming years than property in St. Lucia. The reasons for this include :
(a) a property bubble not unlike our own
(b) a massive problem retaining international flight slots
(c) a lot of vacant property
(d) very low rental incomes (we had the most incredible appartment rented to us for €100 for a week)
(e) a very low season from june to october
(f) similar property and bubbles in similar islands
(g) the list goes on...

I have recently returned from living in St. Lucia. PM if you like. To say that "Rape and murder of tourists at least once a month" is just made up lies. There has been far more attacks on tourists in Ireland than in St. Lucia. There has not been a random murder of a tourist for many many years.

Perhaps you were on a different St Lucia than i was. :)

10 seconds searching google and we can see which of our posts is lies.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4454269.ece

OP, seriously, St Lucia, while beautiful is by no means safe. And as such property prices will reflect this.

A walk down a couple of streets in Castries for example (i definitely wouldn't recommend doing it a night) will tell you all you want to know about how safe St Lucia is.

Thanks for the posts.

Ended up investing. Smaller amount that they were looking for and the plan is to be out in 5 months. Just invested capital so not really dependent on the sales of the units - but was interested to find out more about this. They offered a large amount of interest on a monthly basis and after examining the financials I could see they were sort of desperate - so took a chance.

If any posters are involved in any equity participation deals or have any on offer please email me the basic summary and who the provider is if you are willing to share. Commercial / residential.

St Lucia, while beautiful is a serious crime hot spot. Remember the Murders of the 2 doctors on honeymoon in the caribbean a few months ago (not on St Lucia)? Well on St Ludia there are Rape and murder of tourists at least once a month. Googling it should get you more info. Its nice for a week but i wouldnt want to live there.

Now come on, obviously you have some sort of beef with St Lucia, but St Lucia is certainly NOT some crime hot spot. Like everywhere else there is incidents that happen, but please take a good look around the world now.

Hi Rosinsky,

I have recently returned from living in St. Lucia. PM if you like. To say that "Rape and murder of tourists at least once a month" is just made up lies. There has been far more attacks on tourists in Ireland than in St. Lucia. There has not been a random murder of a tourist for many many years. It is a very beautiful place and great for holidays etc.

All that having been said, I would say that you are more likely to have property in Iraq or the Congo increase in value in coming years than property in St. Lucia. The reasons for this include :
(a) a property bubble not unlike our own
(b) a massive problem retaining international flight slots
(c) a lot of vacant property
(d) very low rental incomes (we had the most incredible appartment rented to us for €100 for a week)
(e) a very low season from june to october
(f) similar property and bubbles in similar islands
(g) the list goes on...

Some good points raised here

life is for living
[broken link removed]

Perhaps you were on a different St Lucia than i was. :)

10 seconds searching google and we can see which of our posts is lies.

OP, seriously, St Lucia, while beautiful is by no means safe. And as such property prices will reflect this.

A walk down a couple of streets in Castries for example (i definitely wouldn't recommend doing it a night) will tell you all you want to know about how safe St Lucia is.

I could google crime in the UK or the US and I am sure the reading would be much more grim than anything I could read about St Lucia.

Life is for living
[broken link removed]

ssh even Carol Voderman has bought and sells property on this island
[broken link removed]

Hi Rosinsky,

I have recently returned from living in St. Lucia. PM if you like. To say that "Rape and murder of tourists at least once a month" is just made up lies. There has been far more attacks on tourists in Ireland than in St. Lucia.

Yes but the population of St Lucia is roughly 161,000 so are we talking crime per head of population because its obvious that there would be less overall crime with a smaller population. This doesnt mean the risk of being assaulted isnt much greater in St Lucia.

Now come on, obviously you have some sort of beef with St Lucia, but St Lucia is certainly NOT some crime hot spot. Like everywhere else there is incidents that happen, but please take a good look around the world now.

On the contrary, i love the place. I just am realistic about the state of the place right now. Bury your head in the sand if you want. It doesnt help.

If you believe a place is great and has no issues just because Carol Vorderman sells something she is paid to sell with a tacky website, that its paradise then you have some problems.

Just google the crime rates for yourself will you. Im sure you're smart enough to make a call on what info is available to you about st Lucia. Have you got property there or something?

And while you're at it show me somewhere the same size as St Lucia with the same rate of rape, murder and voilent crime in general.

On the contrary, i love the place. I just am realistic about the state of the place right now. Bury your head in the sand if you want. It doesnt help.

If you believe a place is great and has no issues just because Carol Vorderman sells something she is paid to sell with a tacky website, that its paradise then you have some problems.

Just google the crime rates for yourself will you. Im sure you're smart enough to make a call on what info is available to you about st Lucia. Have you got property there or something?

And while you're at it show me somewhere the same size as St Lucia with the same rate of rape, murder and voilent crime in general.

Minion, nobody is saying St Lucia is totally crime free, but St Lucia is certainly no way as bad as you are trying to make out. why would so many international investors be puting their money in St Lucia now ?
The island has improved drastically over the past few years and is now is one of the envy's of the Caribbean.

It is quite evident that St Lucia must be doing something right.
Out of the 600,000 or so cruise ship visitors and stay over visitors to the island last year I cannot recall any of them being murdered.

You say you love the place, but you try and paint a negative only picture of the place, I wonder why ?

I would advise common sense when visiting anywhere.
Do not travel to remote areas on your own
Do not flash cash about or excessive jewellry or expensive equipment.
Do not go to beaches at night alone.
Do not accept lifts from strangers.
To the women I would say be careful who you accept drinks from, just in case they are spiked.

This is common sense advice I would give to travellers to all parts of the world not just St Lucia.

To compare another islands stats with St lucia would be hard because you would have to have another island with comparable visitor numbers and resident population, and this would have to be monitored over a few years to get accurate stats.

pgtip, i kow you are the one person tourist board for St Lucia but surely you cant be blind to the daily news and crime stats over there.

My brother owns a bar over there and i go over about once a year with my other brother to help out and catch up with them. I would not allow my wife or kids to go though as its simply too dangerous a place for them.

why would so many international investors be puting their money in St Lucia now ?
They arent. In fact they are avoiding St. Lucia and going for other Islands

The island has improved drastically over the past few years and is now is one of the envy's of the Caribbean.
No it hasnt. Its the same as it always was.

It is quite evident that St Lucia must be doing something right.
Out of the 600,000 or so cruise ship visitors and stay over visitors to the island last year I cannot recall any of them being murdered.
Talking to the cruise ship visitors who go to my brothers bar, they always say they are dissapointed with the state of the place where the ships dock.

You say you love the place, but you try and paint a negative only picture of the place, I wonder why ?
I love it with my 2 brothers with me.

I would advise common sense when visiting anywhere.
Do not travel to remote areas on your own
Do not flash cash about or excessive jewellry or expensive equipment.
Do not go to beaches at night alone.
Do not accept lifts from strangers.
To the women I would say be careful who you accept drinks from, just in case they are spiked.

This is common sense advice I would give to travellers to all parts of the world not just St Lucia.

And also to hire a personal guard to watch for when you are asleep at night in what you think is a safe hotel in St. Lucia.

Dont take my word for it.

[broken link removed]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ls-in-British-bobbies-to-tackle-killings.html

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

And thats an Island with a population of only 160,000.
less than the population of Cork City.

I just got back from spending some time in Martinique (40 miles from St. Lucia). I looked into property investing there, and although, it is not the same island; I think the same principles apply..

After doing a lot of research, while on the island (I don't trust the internet as much as going there and seeing it for myself); I arrived at the conclusion that it was not a good idea to invest in property there, for the following reasons:

1. The weather in the area is very bad from May to November, so rental income is out of the question for this period. (Hurricanes, intermitent strong rain, heat, humidity)

2. Selling a property there is extremely hard--specially for a good profit. Local market focuses on low cost, and its hard to get foreigners to buy. Someone threw a party to celebrate the selling of their property after years trying--I saw this as a clear indication of the situation there, considering the property was the type I was thinking about buying.

3. Owners tended to complain about how hard it is to find trustworthy property management... Being thusands of miles away, makes this issue that much more of a pain...

4. The whole atmosphere there is rather trashy, even scary. It kinda reminded me of the worst neighborhoods in US cities--the ones you are told not to get out of the car. And these were the nicer areas...

5. It is not uncommon, for a Hurricane, or a bad storm to rip through the place, and have to get new roof, new walls, or new everything. This means having to go there, deal with insurance company claims, so on and so forth.. The house where I was staying had to get new roofing in 2007..

6. Prices seemed to be close to what they are in europe (bubble prices that is)

This was the situation in Martinique, 40 miles away from St. Lucia. (I could see St. Lucia from the beach) When I asked about St. Lucia, the general view there, was that it was much trashier, there was not much to do there--a boring island, much of the island was still undeveloped, and on the good side, it was also much cheaper..

I would be very surprised if the situation in St.Lucia was much better than in Martinique.

My recommendation is to not invest a penny, without going there first, and staying for at least 15 days, so you can get a feel for the place. (a month would be better)

Once there, ask around to other europeans that have bought property there and see their experiences--don't take anything from real estate agents, and much less from the builders or promoters themselves..

I wouldn't invest there, unles I was planning on spending lots of time over there, since competition for temporary rentals is fierce--too many properties on the market..

Hope my experience there helped, to at least get another opinion..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in St lucia just recently. The place has barely changed from 20 years ago as far as the two main towns go. There are a number of large resorts but they are largely gated and enclosed.

The crime problem there is very real.

The elephant in the room with this and many other carribean destinations is one of anti-white racism.
They regard whites as being weak and wealthy,mostly weak.
Leave them too it.

Thanks for the posts.

Ended up investing. Smaller amount that they were looking for and the plan is to be out in 5 months. Just invested capital so not really dependent on the sales of the units - but was interested to find out more about this. They offered a large amount of interest on a monthly basis and after examining the financials I could see they were sort of desperate - so took a chance.

If any posters are involved in any equity participation deals or have any on offer please email me the basic summary and who the provider is if you are willing to share. Commercial / residential.

Be interesting to know how did you get on? Its 5 months now.

Back