St. James' Avenue, Drumcondra

johnmurf83

Looking at a a property on St. James' Avenue in Drumcondra. Anyone know what this area is like. I understand that it is between Drumcondra and Ballybough, close enough to Mater Dei, St. Pats etc. It would be for investment purposes. Is rental demand here good? I know demand is quite good in Drumcondra generally speaking. Does the same apply here? Is it a safe area? Any thoughts welcome?

@johnmurf83

First place I would look is daft.ie regarding rentals.
8%+ yield should be minimum might be more.

Yeah i have done that end of the research. It should return 8-10% depending on what price will be accepted. But would like to know the profile of area as well

I live quite close by, albeit a little closer to Drumcondra than Ballybough. I do like the area, when I moved in I had some trepidation but for the most part things have been fine.

The negatives for anyone looking to move in there are its proximity to Croke Park. Where I am this isn't so much an issue, I am the far side of the road and my house is set back nicely, but for the houses on St. James' the opposite is true. The front doors are on the paths, and the paths will be chaotically busy on big match days. Parking is unreserved, it's a free for all, which is both good and bad.

Sadly, some of the roads off Clonliffe Road have a down-at-heel vibe to them, and I don't particularly like the little alleyways that run in between and behind houses, from both aesthetic and security perspectives. You do see some illegal dumping in these streets. Generally the area starts to lose its charm from James' on down to Foster Terrace and Clonliffe ave. etc.

There is also the fact the train line bisects the street, which means the noise and inconvenience from early 'til late (its severity will depend on the exact location of the house).

I don't imagine you'd have trouble getting tenants, but factor in the above in your expectations of a rental yield. It is not as desirable as Clonliffe Road or Drumcondra proper.

We have a house in the general area, lived there for a few years and now have it rented out. When we advertised it we had a lot of people interested in renting there (property was fully refurbished). Match days / concerts can be an annoyance but for me the pros of living so close to town outweighed the disadvantages. Both St James Avenue and Foster Terrace were very quiet when we lived there. There were quite a few long term residents/owners in the area and I saw very little anti social behaviour. There is limited parking but the Croke Park gate area is also available for parking apart from on match/concert days.

We were not beside the main train line but I didn't notice any train noise at all. I agree that it's not as desirable as Clonliffe Road or Drumcondra but I think if the house is nicely finished you will have a lot of interested parties for renting. There are not a lot of houses for rent so close to town, mainly apartments, and this is also a plus factor.

Thanks a lot everyone. Some useful information to digest there. Might be worth taking a look at anyway. One more quick question, can someone confirm for me whether the address is actually Dublin 9 or Dublin 3. Daft.ie has one property on the road listed as Dublin 9 with another on globrix.ie listen as Dublin 3

It's Dublin 3

I forgot to also say that another plus for that particular street is that there is very little traffic noise - it was the quietest area I lived in, in Dublin.

Back