Squeaking Brakes....

Lorz

I got my brake pads replaced in Sept last year and the new pads started squeaking straight away. I said this to the guy that supplied & fitted them a couple of weeks later and he said it would take a while for them to wear in. Another few weeks passed and he was doing some other work on the car and I again mentioned that they were still squeaking and he said he would put some copper grease on them but they were still squeaking.

I was getting the other pads replaced a couple of months ago and asked the new guy to have a look at the other pads to see if he could see why they were squeaking. He put on some copper grease but they're still squeaking - he put it down to poor quality pads and said the extra black on the alloys was also a sign of poor quality pads.

My problem is the squeaking is driving me mad - I can hear it over the radio and its particularly bad in the dry weather. I have another 6,000miles left on the pads and I really want the original guy to replace them but when I mentioned it to him recently he said that he fitted them ages ago and would have to check it was the pads that were squeaking - I'm afraid that if I insist he replaces the pads that he might just damage something else more expensive.

Are there any other reasons the brakes might be squeaking?
Any other suggestions besides replacing the brake pads?

Just put a set of decent pads on it this time,don't be penny pinching with brake pads.

Squeaking pads are normally a sign of cheap break pads. It happened to me once and it used to drive me mad when driving. I never knew why they squeaked. I went back to the same garage that originally fitted the pads for a service and the garage mechanic- laughed at me on paying for a service and told me the break pads on my car were crap but that they did not need to be replaced.

He took the smile quick enough off his face when I told them that they were supplied by his garage.

Is my only option at this stage to get new ones fitted? I have another 6,000miles left on these ones!

it sounds like whoever fitted them did not fit the shims and/or did not apply the correct amount of copper grease between with brake piston and the contact area with the shim/pad

Brake Pads

just curious but how do you know you have 6000 miles left on your pads ?

My onboard computer tells me I have 6,000miles left on them! There is a sensor fitted at the time the pads are replaced which relays this info.

When I was getting the other brake pads fitted I asked the new guy to check these squeaking pads and he took them off and put on copper grease and re-fitted. While the squeaking improved a little, it's still there and worse now.

Do you think I have any recourse to go back to the original guy who fiited the pads (last Sept) or should I just cut my losses?

That's probably just a service interval based on the replacement pads being of the same quality as those originally fitted. If you got poor quality pads, they won't last as long.

The normal course of action for squeaking pads is to remove them, coat the back edges and slide ways with copper grease and rub the pad surface on a piece of emery paper. I also spray all the area with a brake cleaner to remove brake dust and blow out with an air line. The other reason for the squeak could be the brake dics. They would need to be checked for condition, warp, grooves, minimal thickness etc but any mechanic worth their salt would do this as a routine thing.

Cheap brake pads could also be the reason.

Back