Spray foam for Dormer Crawl Space?

raven

Hi,
We recently moved into a dormer bungalow, approx 15 years old. .

We find it loses heat upstairs fairly quickly, and yes I know now [broken link removed] dormers are hard to heat. But we'd like to improve in whatever way we can.
We have had the cavities done, with bonded bead and also the attic bumped up to slightly over the current regulations.

This leaves the dormer crawl space and slopes as weak points.

The crawl space has approx 10 to 15cm fibre wool behind the knee walls and we had the space above the knee walls bumped up to above current regs. I read somewhere that the cold air movement through the crawl space can sweep all the warmth out of the fibre insulation? - and this is the biggest problem with dormers (along with the slopes obviously). Is there any credence to this? I can feel the cold wind bellowing in there when I go in there, so it seems to make sense.

The slopes seem to have approx 10mm of insulation fibre board, but it would seem hard to do much with this.

Someone said to me that one solution would be to get the roof part of the crawl space insulated with open cell spray foam, effectively sealing the area for the most part against cold air movement, any thoughts? Ventilation would seem a concern. But I'm told the open cell foam should be fine, and anyway the whole roof rafters are not being sealed, just the part in the crawl space.

Thanks for any info!

check the IAbs certs carefully. you'll see a lot of inconstancies with foam based products, between what the IAB cert says V what the installers claim. thread carefully!

Dormer crawl spaces
the only real way to eliminate draughts and retain heat effectively is to lift the last few rows of the roof tiles/slates, felt & fascia. then install a complete air-tightness membrane and suitable insulation, ensuing ventilation of the roof timbers is retained.

Last edited:
Back