Spouses and Childrens scheme - method of calculating benefit

Dave Vanian

If a public sector worker dies before retirement and is a member of the Spouses and Childrens scheme, does the widow get the percentage of his pension based on actual number of years served at the date of death or based on how many years he would have served if he had lived?

As a rough example, married man on a salary of €60,000 per year, wife, no kids. Dies after 20 years service. Could have reached 40 years service if he'd lived. Wife is entitled to half his pension. Does she get €15,000 per year (€60,000 x 40/80 x 50%) or €7,500 per year (€60,000 x 20/80 x 50%)?

Thanks.

Widow would get €15,000 pr annum as long as he was a member of the Spouses and Childrens Scheme. Widow would get full lump sum, i.e. €90,000 in this case.

Slim

Last edited:
I would agree with how the spouse's pension was calculated above. However in regards the lump sum I would be of the opinion that the legal personal representative would receive the minimum death gratuity in this case a year's salary i.e. €60,000. However I say this on the proviso that benefits under public sector schemes can differ and the OP needs to check with his HR department.
Evening

Back