Spotlights for the Garden.

S

suzie

Hi there,

looking for anybody to recommend a place to get spotlights for the garden. Mainly to light up trees. They probably need to be spiked etc. I recall somebody mentioning GU10 to me as a specification. Is this correct?

Also would there be any worthwhile alternatives to look into.

Thanks

S.

PS: I have the mains cabled out into the garden....

Spots

Light in the garden is a form of pollution.Check the home page of the ornithological society.

garden lights

I hate these F***** things ! Most gardens that back on to us have them and when they go off the light comes straight in our bedroom windows, They should be banned ! No consideration for others, think of your neighbors!

Re: garden lights

You should call into any electrical wholesaler/retailer and have a chat with them. They'll have brochures with many types of light fittings suitable for what you want, and they advise there and then about price and suitability.
When the council in my area start to install street lights that reduce light pollution, then I will reassess my setup.
My neighbours have curtains, and no complaints.

light pollution

"When the council in my area start to install street lights that reduce light pollution, then I will reassess my setup."

Someone waiting for the council to smart up before they do ! take some responsibility, hell will freeze over before the council changes their street lights and we all know that.

"My neighbors have curtains"
Lead lined are they? (the curtains not the neighbors!) I have venetian blinds and when one of these infernal lights invades my bedroom I am FORCED to pull curtains over them and that still doesn't stop the glow.

"and no complaints."
Invariably the gardens and rooms that these lights invade are backing on to you and are probably on a different road/estate and as such they are complete strangers, they aren't really going to come round to a complete strangers house and ask them to take the light down from their back garden are they? Anyway would you take it down if they did?

Re: light pollution

Hi jbob,
I'm fairly sure now that the type of light you are referring to is the "security" light of choice for many back gardens ie. a 500w halogen spotlight with a motion detector. I agree that when one of these is directed towards another house, they are too bright and can cause nuisance. The type of light I refer to however is more likely to be about 20-50w and not facing anyone else's house.

Garden lighting

How about using 110 Volt builders site lights these are not as expensive as 'garden lights' the only expensive part is the transformer and you dont need to bury the cables, you can also move them around safely.
Do take care when you use bright lights close to threes etc, as they can get very hot and do cause fires.
roger

Back