Splitting a taxed inheritence between family: further tax implications?

Kerrsland

Assume I inherit eur45,000 from a deceased uncle on 01 April 2014; AND the current "nil" threshold amount is eur30,150.

I pay the taxation due on the inheritence i.e. 33% x [eur45,000 - eur30,150] = eur4,950.

This leaves my post-taxation
residual as eur40,050.

Due to financial circumstances, I immediately decide to split this residual sum between immediate family members i.e. eur30,050 to my father & eur10,000 to my brother.

Seperarely, my father would've already received eur20,000 from my deceased uncle, with my brother also inheriting eur10,000.

Both these seperate, individual inheritance amounts are below the
current "nil" threshold amount [eur30,150, as above].

No inheritence tax is therefore payable on both these sums.

Does any additional gift taxation liability, in respect of the monies I then give to both [i.e. eur30,050 & eur10,000, respectively] fall on either my father and/or brother?

Both would receive [below threshold] amounts seperately, from both me & my deceased uncle.

However, the overall amount received by my father [eur20,000 from my uncle & a further eur30,050 from my post-tax residual of eur40,050] would be in excess of the current 30,150 "nil" threshold.

Furthermore, suppose further hypothetical finance problems hit both my girlfriend [i.e. non-spouse] and I in the future.

At this later stage, my father subsequently gifts both my girlfriend & I eur15,000 each [total eur30,000, kust under the original].

Would any gift taxation liability then fall upon my girlfriend and/or I?

Finally, does any additional taxation liability fall upon me?

Whats the NIL Threshold you are referring to?

Its Group A B & C. All gifts/inheritances from persons in the same class since 1991 are added together for the purposes of CAT. Assuming you are not caught by anti avoidance your gift to your father following the inheritance of €20k from his brother would exceed the Group B threshold so would be subject to CAT 20k+(30,050-3,000)=47,050-30,050 = 17,000 taxable.

If you gifted him the money and not loaned it to him then he make a gift to you in the future Group A apply. Your girlfriend/wife is Group C to your father. She is Group C to you until you are married and then transfers are exempt between spouses.

Back