Split with partner

#paul#

My partner and I have recently split up. We are not married, however we have son (2yrs old) together. Last year we built our own one-off house. This property is valued at approx €450k with an outstanding mortgage of just less than €150k. We both invested money in this house initially: myself €80k and herself €30k (a joint ownership agreement exists with these figures stated). Now that we have split we obviously cannot live together. She wants to continue to live in the house with our son which is fine with me, however I expect at the very least for her to pay me back my initial investment. I am not trying to be greedy and look for a market-value share as I consider it a home for my son to grow up in. I need this money to set myself up with a place to live. She is not agreeable to this and wants me to leave with norhing!. We have agreed between ourselves on a generous child maintenance payment also.

Just wondered does anyone have any advice for me? (great site by the way!)

Sorry about the split. Keep it amicable if possible. You really do need legal advice. As you were not married, there is no protection for the family home.

Try Mediation as a first step.

Why not sell house split it say 60 - 40 she looking after child would seem fair she get the 60% of course, Both buy new propertys, both would have good deposit on house,

Sorry about situation. I know it's not the issue here, but aside from fiscals I would advise you to first confirm .

Back