Spin-Off / Child Company Formation

soma

A convoluted situation here.. but perhaps it will make sense to someone ;-)

* Existing company is called "BrandName LTD"
* We would like to start a spin-off/child company (not sure of the terminology here..) called e.g. "BrandName Services LTD" where (a) the company/brand-name is still used but (b) the directors of the original company are not shareholders of the new company, but merely shadow/non-exec directors.

So is the best way to go about this..

1) Just create a company as normal - we would presumably (?) then get a call from the C.R.O. asking if we had no objection to such a similarly-named company being formed? (or would it just be straight-out rejected?).

or 2) is there some formal process for the creation of a spin-off company.

Any input appreciated,
Thanks.

PS I appreciate that the normal way to proceed is the original company "trading as" the new name - but in this case we want a separate business (accounts, assets etc).

The terminology you are looking for is a subsidiary.

Who will own this new company?

Who will own this new company?

Thanks for the input.

The shareholders of the subsidiary will be people who are not shareholders of the parent company - they are and have been entirely seperate from that business.

The directors of the parent company would be shadow/non-exec directors with no shareholding in the subsidiary.

ok, a subsidiary is generally owned by a parent company, or the majority is owned by them with other smaller shareholders. What you are explaining is a totally new entity with different ownership and the two companies will have no connection at all.

You are saying that you would like create a spin off company, will you own this company? Have you any connection to the other existing company? Or are you simply hoping to take a share of their business?

Directors and Shareholders must be kept totaly seperate and never mix these up, in most cases the owners of a company (shareholders) will also be directors but this is not always the case.

I'm a bit confused

You are saying that you would like create a spin off company, will you own this company? Have you any connection to the other existing company? Or are you simply hoping to take a share of their business?

Thanks for that Ronan it's helped me think it through - as I said it's a convoluted situation (with convoluted reasoning!).

Instead - assuming the parent company is split 50/50 between two directors, and one of those directors (but not the other) will now take a 50% shareholding in the new subsidiary - how straight forward is it to form a subsidiary? I havent seen any of "company formations" type outfits advertising this as a service.

To be a true subsidiary, the parent must own more than half of the nomimal share capital or if the parent is a shareholder it must then control the make up of the board of directors.

Its not a common practice for the majority of companies and therefore company formation agents wouldn't advertise this as their core business is new start ups.

Have a read of the legislation in regards to subsidiaries here

Just start a new business called "BrandName Services LTD" with written permission to use the BrandName.

AFAIK the CRO don't care what it is called.

The CRO will refuse a new company name if it is too similiar to another existing one without written permission known as a letter of no objection from that existing company.

The CRO will refuse a new company name if it is too similiar to another existing one without written permission known as a letter of no objection from that existing company.

This is the primary reason my question/approach is so convoluted.

* The 'parent' company above is actually called "BrandName Differentiator LTD" (By Differentiator I mean enough text to differentiate the company's name from another company that already exists).

* That company, "BrandName LTD" had to provide a letter of no objection when "BrandName Differentiator LTD" was created.

* I do not believe (99% sure) they would ever provide a 2nd letter of no objection (if it were required) for this spin-off company. The reason being that business has majorly soured for them and they are IMHO in a very defensive/entrenched mindset. So I dont want to go there.

The new spin-off company would be "BrandName Differentiator Services LTD" so my query is this - would a letter of no objection only be required from "BrandName Differentiator LTD" OR would the C.R.O. insist on getting a letter of objection from both existing companies?

Last edited:
The new spin-off company would be "BrandName Differentiator Services LTD" so my query is this - would a letter of no objection only be required from "BrandName Differentiator LTD" OR would the C.R.O. insist on getting a letter of objection from both existing companies?

Why not try it and see. It's the easiest option.

Back