Spilt paint on my balcony that damaged balcony underneath. Block insurance cover

taxistaxing

I accidentally spilt a tin of paint on my balcony which spilt down to the balcony underneath and the one below.
Is this covered on the block insurance. I read somewhere that the management company are responsible for the balcony.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Almost certainly it depends on your specific management company, house rules and insurance cover. In my opinion, you need to check with the management company/agent about this.

You might need to check with the insurers of your contents as this might be a public liability claim against you personally under that policy.

Even if the policy covering the block covered this event they might have subrogation rights over against you. i.e. the right to claim the money back from you.

I accidentally spilt a tin of paint on my balcony which spilt down to the balcony underneath and the one below.
Is this covered on the block insurance. I read somewhere that the management company are responsible for the balcony.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you claim of the block policy when you were at fault?

The management company may be responsible for the balcony but it would be unfair to claim of their policy when the incident was caused by you.

The excess on the block policy may well be several thousand. I assume this would be classed as accidental damage, which is normally an optional extra.

You caused the damage, you are responsible. The building insurer, if they pay out, will seek recovery from your insurer. You should notify your insurer as if you don't, they may well deny liability on ground of delay in notification.

You caused the damage, you are responsible. The building insurer, if they pay out, will seek recovery from your insurer. You should notify your insurer as if you don't, they may well deny liability on ground of delay in notification.
Are you saying your contents insurance covers this. What if you don't have accidental damage on your policy?

Are you saying your contents insurance covers this. What if you don't have accidental damage on your policy?
Maybe you should be diverting all your questions here on this thread, and on another thread, to your own insurer. Then you'll find out where you stand.

You may have Public Liability cover under your contents policy???? And irrespective of insurance cover or not, you are still liable. Insurance simply covers your liability. Without insurance, you pay yourself.

Back