Speeding fixed penalty notice

viewsonic

My wife was driving my car and a speed van captured her driving 66kph in a 60 zone.

Long story short the fixed penalty notice came with my name on it. We filled in my wife's details as the nominated driver however i got a letter back today saying they received the paperwork after the 28day period to nominate another driver even after i sent it back long before the 28days was up.

Am i looking at a day in court? like will my wife if she comes with me be able to take responsibility in-front of the judge or am i going to be forced to take this myself which seems silly?

If you can argue the point well the judge will almost certainly strike it out especially as it's 66km.

You would need to know the exact date you posted it and where you posted it so that the judge is convinced you are being truthful.

What date is on the notice? What date is the envelope post-marked? What date did you receive it? What date did you post your reply? What date did you receive the notification that you were out of time and what date did you receive that notice?

I continue to be amazed at how many letters go missing or are delayed and people like the OP are expected to suffer the consequences.
+1 advice above. If it goes the full distance I hope OP wins.

Side bar point for future reference.

In a matter such as this it is best to send the form back having obtained a certificate of posting from the post office.
It is a simple form. You fill in the addressee's details, the date and time of posting. That is then initialled and stamped by the post office official.
This will not constitute proof of delivery but will constitute evidence of posting.

If you can argue the point well the judge will almost certainly strike it out especially as it's 66km.

You would need to know the exact date you posted it and where you posted it so that the judge is convinced you are being truthful.
Supplement your argument with An Post's normal delivery speed from their website. The post box official reference number if there is such a thing, Like Peemac said make a strong, sincere & respectful presentation of the facts to the judge. G'd'luck!

What it offers
  • Reliable national and international delivery service
  • Next working day delivery in Ireland
  • Prices start at €1.25 for letters and from €2.10 for large A4 envelopes
  • Depending on packet size, prices begin from €3.80
  • An Post parcel rates start from €9.00
  • Standard Post can deliver parcels up to 20kg in weight

Back