Speeding Fine arrived by registered post from Swiss police

It was actually a roundabout way of forcing public liability insurance onto those cycling. From wiki page.

The Velovignette was not a registration of the bike as such, like a car registration plate. Instead, you were required by law to hold liability insurance for damages you might cause while riding a bike, like scratching a car's paint. Your insurance would issue a small sticker that you would put on your bike to show that the bike was indeed insured. Riding a bike without such a sticker was liable to a fine of 40 CHF (roughly 40 USD). The sticker carried a unique number, so you could link it to the insured person, and you needed to get a new sticker (i.e., pay the modest insurance premium) every year.

As to why this was discontinued at the end of 2011: people nowadays typically carry general personal liability insurance, which also covers damages caused while riding a bike. Some insurers would directly issue a number of stickers to anyone holding their policy, whether or not the household had a bike. At some point, the Swiss legislature argued that administering the specifics of the Vignette scheme was not worth the hassle any more, and the Vignette was abandoned.

What about these guys in a Swiss prison (speeding) for 7 weeks without charge?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4728182/Three-Brits-arrested-speeding-Switzerland-race.html

A friend of mine was offered a large fine or a few days in clink. He went for the fine, and it impacted his ability to apply for citizenship.

What I find even weirder is the fact you can be put in Swiss prison while under suspicion of guilt (in this case the suspicion of hiring an Italian assassin to kill th ex-wife). Does it work like that in Ireland? Suspicion but no actual proof!! Guilty until proven innocent, it's the polar opposite of the American system of innocent until proven guilty. By the way, they pulled his wife in four weeks after him and both of them spent the next eight weeks in jail. Happned to my neighbour, a very dodgy character with a large ability to launder money.

The boy racers currently in jail will be released in due course, not that I care. Can't do the time, then don't do the crime. Irish police and judges should be sent here (Switzerland) for training! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
it's the polar opposite of the American system of innocent until proven guilty.
Where did you get that strange notion? How many prisoners are there in US jails because they have been remanded in custody, simply because they cannot raise their bail money or a bond?

What I find even weirder is the fact you can be put in Swiss prison while under suspicion of guilt (in this case the suspicion of hiring an Italian assassin to kill th ex-wife). Does it work like that in Ireland? Suspicion but no actual proof!!
You've obviously not being following recent criminal matters in Ireland very closely!

Back