Speeders - Buy your way out of speeding bans for 105mph

R

rainyday

from this Indo article

Judge Maughan said anyone travelling at 105mph should "not be on the road" but on a plea by the lawyer, he agreed he wouldn't take away her licence if Ms Connolly contributed €1,300 to Monaghan Neighbourhood Youth Project. On payment of the contribution, the judge struck out the prosecution.

?

How many wheelchairs and coffins can you buy for €1300?

Re: ?

Not many. Maybe this thread should be moved to the Good Deals forum.

Re: ?

I loved her excuse.

She was doing 105mph, 80mph through a 40 zone and crossed over a continous white line several times before the Guards caught up with her.

Her excuse - she was in a rush to go on her holidays!

Sluice

Does the striking out of the prosecution mean she didn't get her penalty points?

I presume that this "penalty" was imposed under the non statutory "poor box" system?

In my view this system should be abolished as it favours the rich.

I remember years ago (sorry no reference to hand) that fellas were found guilty, but were intending to emigrate, so were let off. Even writing it now it seems incorrect, but I'm absolutely sure it is true. Has anyone else seen a "guilty but going to England" scenario?

Speeding

This offender is from Armagh, and I presume she held a UK drivers licence otherwise the judge could have endorsed her licence. I think it was a case of getting something out of her rather than nothing, but I could be wrong.

> Has anyone else seen a "guilty but going to England" scenario?

Yes - that used to be common enough in the past and was still used up to a couple of decades ago but I don't think it's ever employed these days. I have no idea on what basis a judge was allowed defer or waive custodial sentences on condition of "exile". Oddly enough I never recall HMG ever making formal complaints about this questionable policy...

speed

This makes my blood boil. I was done for doing 58 in a 50 zone near Lucan. 2 penalty points and all. I hope the guards and Brennan get nothing but bad luck for this. I notice a lot of foreign cars on this road ripping by me at 70-80 mph. Are they not afraid to be caught???

speed

> I was done for doing 58 in a 50 zone near Lucan. 2 penalty points and all.

Seems like a fair cop guv, regardless of the specifics of the case mentioned here...?

Speed

I got 2 penalty points doing 48 in a 40 zone near Citywest.
I didn't like it but I was breaking the speed limit so I can't complain.

If those in power are serious about speeding then they should insist that all newly registered cars are electronically limited to 70MPH or 120KM (what ever the envisaged top speed limit is to be). This would be preferable to wasting Garda time speed trapping on motorways or major dual carriageways.

If those in power are serious about speeding then they should insist that all newly registered cars are electronically limited to 70MPH or 120KM (what ever the envisaged top speed limit is to be)

Would that really help all that much? What if you were doing 65 in a 30 zone?

Indeed piggy. Do you read a given post before crafting a reply? The second sentence in my previous post qualifies the first sentence and answers your subsequent query. Do you intentionally cut & paste selective quotes so you can reply out of context? Anyway . .

The second sentence in my previous post qualifies the first sentence and answers your subsequent query. Do you intentionally cut & paste selective quotes so you can reply out of context?

Oops. No I don't. My sincerest apologies...I didn't read the whole post properly before replying.

However, if this system was brought in and the speed limit were ever changed from say 70 to 75 it could get very messy trying to change the electronic limiters on all those cars. It would also limit your speed to 70mph (or whatever the limit was deemed to be) were you to take your car abroad to somewhere like Germany, so I personally wouldn't be in favour of it.

speed limiters are a disaster

I encountered two trucks on the M4 one day. One was on the inside lane doing 69mph and the other was on the outside lane doing 70 mph. It took from Leixlip to Kilcock for the "faster" one to overtake the slower one, holding up all the traffic behind....

On asking a truck driver about this strange behaviour I was told that fleet managers can fit speed limiters to their vehicles to prevent speeding and usually set them to 70mph.

Lets hope they never do this to cars because I can only hope they never get caught overtaking on a two-way road where every bit of speed and power counts to overtake safely.
If speed limiters were introduced overtaking would become too risky to do especially as most overtaken vehicles speed up when they notice the overtaker......

Re: speed limiters are a disaster

Limiters linked only to the speed of the vehicle take effect at the high speeds seen on main roads/motorways. Forcing a vehicle to travel at a monotonous constant speed and engine note will only increase the numbers of people falling asleep at the wheel.

Speed limiters that are also linked via GPS to a comprehensive database of speed limits and applied only on urban roads might however work. This was mooted in the UK recently. Initially the car would just make a warning noise but still allow you to go over the limiters threshold speed.

It needn't be all bad if the system could be extended to take remote control of micras crawling along at well below the speed limit in the outside lane of motorways and pull them into the empty lane.

Speed limiters

So you are overtaking a truck which is belching out black smoke and as you draw level some clown pulls out in front of you. You have just enough time to get back in to your own side if you floor it, you get to 70 and the power levels off and the last thing you ever hear is a nice calm voice telling you that you can't go any faster because speed kills.
We can't take away the ability of a driver to use his or her judgement in exceptional circumstances.
I once had a Jap import which bleeped at me when I went over 55.....I drove under 55.
Even now 10 years later it's annoying, it was a great idea!

Re: Speed limiters

Hi purple, I didn't say speed limiting is good in all circumstances without any of the qualifications. The first one being that the system would only be active on urban roads i.e. ones where 30mph or less is the appropriate speed limit (where this has been determined by an independent body based on objective criteria). To respond to your hypotheticals. In the case of an urban driving situation where you're trying to overtake a lorry. If you need to go over 70mph to complete this maneuver that's too fast, the driver should instead full back and wait for a stretch of road where it can be completed safely. Speed limiters would change the maneuvers that could safely be completed but that is just a matter of knowing the limits of the car. A competent driver wouldn't attempt to over take as often while in a micra as in a powerful car.

Back