Speed Van car flashers

I find it repugnant that people flash their headlights to warn of speed traps of any sort. Speed is the biggest killer on our roads. Add in the stupidity of many Irish drivers.
I was done for doing 60 kph in a 50 (6 mph over) hardly dangerous driving, its very difficult to tell the difference if you are not looking at the speedo. I would have no problem flashing someone unless they were overdoing it.

But, Roker, NEWSFLASH! - You were driving over what was already deigned as a speeding limit. It was marginally over, but over. Take it on the chin. I bet you have been driving more safely since!

I'm not directing this at anyone in this thread, but I always find it funny how people's attitudes to road traffic law adapts based on their circumstances. There have been threads on here looking for cyclists to be locked up for breaking a red light or cycling on a path, yet the same motorists consider breaking the speed limit fair game, and parking fines or clamping unjust.

I'm not directing this at anyone in this thread, but I always find it funny how people's attitudes to road traffic law adapts based on their circumstances. There have been threads on here looking for cyclists to be locked up for breaking a red light or cycling on a path, yet the same motorists consider breaking the speed limit fair game, and parking fines or clamping unjust.
We all see the world through our own prism but some rational thinking should give us some insight.

We all see the world through our own prism but some rational thinking should give us some insight.

Absolutely true, but in these discussions/ arguments, rationality seems to go out the window rather quickly.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of fatalities on roads in housing estates, judging from the almost daily RTA bulletins. Motorists should obey the speed limits regardless of where the roads are. It is parents' responsibility to keep their children from playing on roads in housing estates.
In that case, why have they decided to put speed bumps in housing estates?

+1 Leo. Our local residents' association issued dire warnings to motorists about driving carefully in the estate and the need for more speed bumps. I wrote back to the committee pointing out that if parents instructed their kids that a roadway is a roadway and not a play area and supervised their children better they'd achieve more. These same parents drive around with unrestrained children sitting three abreast in commercial vehicles, supply them with 25 cc mini-motos which they use on the public road and allow children out on bicycles with no idea of the rules of the road, no lights, no hi-vis vests, no helmets yet in the event of an RTI involving some unfortunate child with useless parents it'll be because of speeding and a lack of speed ramps.

Last edited:
And the driver is blamed and has it on his conscience
Roker.

I have yet to hear of a car being killed by a child, yet kids are killed by cars.
We can probably correctly blame poor supervision, but do never forget, that cars kill kids, and kids will be kids !.

mathepac.
Agree with your comments and would add Lazy Parenting to your note.

If the LE Niamh saved two hundred refugees from the Mediterranean it would be world news and rightly so. Annually, we have 150 - 200 deaths on our roads due to speed, bad driving, stupidity etc.

The fault is not the cars, the roads, the traffic lights, the yellow boxes, the bus lanes, the weather, the Gardaí, the cyclists, the pedestrians etc. It is people like you and me who disobey every rule in the manual when we feel like doing so. Of course, it will never happen to me!!!!!!!

Does it have to take a photo of a child lying face down on our roads to get us to cop on to our dreadful driving habits?

Is the speed van operation not a private entreprise?

Better off if the Gardai enforced the laws rather than a private operation.

Even if it were Purple, Roker or Déise I couldn't care less who enforced the traffic/road use laws as long as they got people to drive safely. I'll tell you one thing, if I were the enforcer our national debt would be cleared fairly fast and many drivers would be walking, waiting for the 15A or sitting in some prison.

Do you think the Gardai were doing better in terms of speed detection/enforcement than the current GoSafe operation? What specifically about the current model would you change? There are a few aspects I think should be changed by the way.

In that case, why have they decided to put speed bumps in housing estates?

In many cases it was in order to spend the local council's budget to secure the same again the following year roker.

Back