"Speed Rating" of tyres

callybags

I am looking for a new set of tyres.

The current ones on my car are:
Continental Premium Contact 225/55 R16 95V

When I went looking for prices, I was quoted €195 each by one outfit. However, he said that the 95V speed rating was very high- meaning the tyres were approved for speeds of 180 MPH (I think)

He said I could get 95H tyres, which are for speeds of up to 137 MPH for €127 each.

Now I have no intention of driving anywhere close to 137 MPH, never mind 180, so is there any other reason not to go for the cheaper tyre.

He told me there was no other difference, but I am by nature a synic and am wondering why such a large price difference.

Thanks for any help :)

Thanks for that, Time.

I didn't realise that you could fail the NCT for having tyres rated less than the max speed of the car.

I have decided to go with the higher spec ones.

For anyone that's interested, Fastfit have a promotion for Continental Tyres- 4 for the price of 3.

Getting mine from Donnybrook depot tomorrow.

Callybags

You will be loaded with the price of fitting those and also many garages will not be impressed with you buying tyres elsewhere.

You will be loaded with the price of fitting those and also many garages will not be impressed with you buying tyres elsewhere.

Eiretyres have a long list of garages that are happy to fit and balance tyres bought from them on the site with all charges listed.

Should you really be concerned that they're not impressed while you're saving money?
Leo

FWIW

I got them today in Fast Fit, Donnybrook.
Because of the 4 for 3 promotion, they worked out cheaper than eiretyres, and I got wheel alignment and tracking, as well as a check on brakes, exhaust etc. thrown in.

Impressed with the service.

FastFit - great place (from experience in Cork) .. been going there for many years for tyres (& bringing the wife's car there) ... always very helpful & good prices...

Back