Speed limit on the Strawberry beds...

I took a lift with someone recently through the Phoenix Park - main road Chesterfield Avenue - and they stuck to the 30KM/h limit (if I recall correctly) to the intense annoyance of most motorists who were behind and who overtook at speed in spite of the continuous solid centre line the length of the road... :rolleyes:

I took a lift with someone recently through the Phoenix Park - main road Chesterfield Avenue - and they stuck to the 30KM/h limit (if I recall correctly) to the intense annoyance of most motorists who were behind and who overtook at speed in spite of the continuous solid centre line the length of the road... :rolleyes:

Yes, but the Pheonix Park is not a public road and as far as I know you cannot be done by the Gardai for speeding and get penalty points if you don't obey the speed limits. (not sure about drink driving). The Park Rangers are responsible for policing the Park.

Speaking of Chesterfield Avenue, did you ever see anything as nonsensical in all your life. Buses aren't allowed to take people into work through the Park. Instead the buses are stuck in gridlock on a so called QBC on the Navan Road. So called because it's nothing like a QBC.

I belived there are moves afoot to allow some buses to use the Park soon, (20 years too late).

Murt

I've always heard that about the park rangers too. But recently I've seen people pulled over by the guards, not idea what for though. Someone mentioned somewhere, (either here or the boards) that they'd seen a speed trap. Not sure if thats true though. I've never seen one.

Also on either forum, someone said someone had been killed in the park as an example of why it was dangerous. What they failed to mention was it was on military road in the middle of the night. The majority of accidents are at the junctions and are usually shunts and minor traffic accidents. At peak time the Park crawls anyway. Some people do go too fast in the park. But about 90% of people exceed the posted limit so whats the point of it.. I reckon its too low, so they should raise it slightly and then enforce it.

They should have run buses through it years ago. Or a tram or something. Why not an underground shuttle? (yes i know the existing tunnel goes crossways to it).

Years ago I was in the car with my Dad driving through the Phoenix Park. He was doing 30mph and some idiot overtook us at a very fast speed. A few minutes later we drove past the idiot who had crashed into a deer.

I bet that wasn't just deer but expensive. (Sorry).

I've a Stag jump the car when we've been stopped. Deer are unpredictable, which is why you need to be constantly scanning ahead, and slow right down if you see them. However visibility in the Park is usually very good.

Yes, but the Pheonix Park is not a public road and as far as I know you cannot be done by the Gardai for speeding and get penalty points if you don't obey the speed limits. (not sure about drink driving). The Park Rangers are responsible for policing the Park.
I was in the Phoenix Park last weekend and it was being patrolled by Gardaí on bikes. I have also seen people pulled over by the Gardaí. Can you point to an authoritative source to back up your comments maybe?

Speed ramps have now been installed on the Strawberry Beds.

Talk about overkill. I don't recall seeing speed ramps on roads where the speed limit is 60 kph before. There are dozens of them and even going over them at 50 kph is much too fast and will damage cars. It's ludicrous.

Ramps are okay in a housing estate, but not on such a main road and certainly not that number.

Murt

Went over them the other day. Not marked in anyway, at least not then. Lethal if someone doesn't spot them. Lot of bikers on that road. I only noticed because was in a line of cars and the other cars hit them.

Its always been a busy road that, even 10, 20 yrs ago. The volumes are up though due to the over development of Dublin West.

Back