Special Investment Accounts limits announced in Budget

Will we be able to transfer other investments into these new accounts?
E.g. If i have 10k in etfs with trading 212 would I be able to transfer this into a new special investment account trading 212 might offer and use this as part of the 12k annual limit?
I believe that came up at some stage before it was officially announced and it was ruled out.
 
I think that will be up to the provider. An earlier statement said it would be possible to move from one SIA to another by in specie transfer so long as the providers can handle that.
I think the tax differences would make moving a non SIA to an SIA tricky though, unlike moving one SIA to a different SIA provider under the same tax arrangement
 
I think that will be up to the provider. An earlier statement said it would be possible to move from one SIA to another by in specie transfer so long as the providers can handle that.
Allowing non IA assets to be ported into an IA would be a CGT/Exit Tax avoidance bonanza, absolutely not happening.

Invest in a wide basket of stocks, port your biggest winners into the IA, avoid CGT on unrealised gains, sell, withdraw.

The only sensible regime is to say people have to crystallise gains outside the IA, pay CGT/Exit Tax on that, deposit cash into the IA then re-buy the same securities if that person wants the same securities inside the IA.
 
What is the best logic / plan about transferring existing financial assets in to the new scheme?

Imagine the following holdings, all held in an online stockbroker

(1) share A, directly held, trading above purchase price, so with potential CGT liability
(2) share B, with no CGT liability, say a bank share bought in 2010 which is yet to return to the breakeven price
(3) shares in an ETF, which have done well recently, but have not reached 8 years yet for DD


I presume all existing holdings will have to be sold into cash?

And then the cash lodged to the new account, assuming the same broker offers the new accounts, to buy these assets a few days later?
 
Well lads I’m very impressed with this explaination of this product


It’s laid out in clear and simple language. The font is nice. Really easy to read and put together well. Well done the CCPC.

(I found it via google AI because of a testing idea on a different thread)
This seems confusing to me. How is the average calculated?
If the average value of your account is above the threshold, a flat rate of 1% tax will apply to the amount above it.
 
What is the best logic / plan about transferring existing financial assets in to the new scheme?
I don't think there's a simple rule here.

(1) Shares carrying a gain, they could fall after you switch and you wouldn't be able to claim that loss relief
(2) Shares carrying a loss, you can only claim the loss relief if you wait four-weeks before re-buying
(3) ETFs with a gain, you're locking in an exit tax rate that may be reduced in the future, or could fall in value and you wouldn't get a refund

The account is really designed for "new" money.
 
How is the average calculated?
If your daily account value was 40k for the first six months of the year, and 60k for the last six months of the year, then your average value is 50k and you'd pay no tax.

So you wouldn't pay tax on each day that the value was over 50k.
 
This seems confusing to me. How is the average calculated?
Average = Total daily amount/365.
A common misconception is that any excess greater than 50,000 results in a tax liability.
Simple example: 40,000 for 6 months and 60,000 for 6months = No tax liability.
If close to the limit one strategy would be to monitor and sell as appropriate equally after analysis of assets holding and accept the small tax may return a net gain or sell as appropriate.
Touché Corola !
 
Last edited:
Note the top of the second column in this KID for a passive index tracker. It reserves the right to invest in derivatives as I guess they all do.
I don't think it's investing in derivatives like an active fund might, they're saying they may use derivatives. In a tracker - it might be trying to ensure they're not caught out with an index jumping in value while they've substantial cash waiting to be invested. They buy futures for the stocks they know they'll be buying - but can't because e.g. dividends due to arrive haven't landed yet.

They can't afford to allow competitors be more efficient at handling their funds so things probably get complicated behind the scenes.
 
Last edited:
Shares carrying a loss, you can only claim the loss relief if you wait four-weeks before re-buying
I am not sure about that. I presume that you as an individual and your SIA are separate taxable entities.
I presume all existing holdings will have to be sold into cash?
Earlier briefings have talked about in specie transfers. As I understand the term the ownership of the asset changes but no physical transactions take place. For tax purposes a notional sell and repo is taking place at the then market price.
 
I really don't know what their issue is with derivatives.
I assumed they simply don't want individuals trading derivatives directly in this new account.

Even brokers like Interactive Brokers close derivatives off until the customer can to some (limited) extent show they might know what they're doing.

If a UCITS Tracker ETF behind the scenes, with the full blessing of the CBI, is using derivatives to efficiently manage their portfolio - that should be fine.
 
I assumed they simply don't want individuals trading derivatives directly in this new account.

Even brokers like Interactive Brokers close derivatives off until the customer can to some (limited) extent show they might know what they're doing.

If a UCITS Tracker ETF behind the scenes, with the full blessing of the CBI, is using derivatives to efficiently manage their portfolio - that should be fine.
Totally agree in principle. Will the legislation be that flexible?
 
Lads can anyone validate some numbers here for me.
Running the below on the basis that the new SIA will keep with higher AMC currently offered by the Zurich of the world

ETF fees taken from T212 for example

It appears to me that a return of above 6% is required for the SIA to get the better of the traditional ETF investment.


I have ran the following

SIA
6% return
1.25% AMC
12k yearly
1% on amounts above 50k
Final fund value €426,817

ETF
6% Return
0.23% AMC /TER (T212) or similiar
12k yearly deposit
Deemed disposal every 8 years 35%
Exit Tax 35%
€424,344


Would appreciate a sanity check if possible
 
Back
Top