Spanish resorts with long coastal walks?

AlastairSC

We've enjoyed Playa de las Americas to Los Cristianos areas in Tenerife because of the Geranium Walk, a seaside pavement that runs from 10-12 k along the coast. No traffic noise - the roads are on the inland side of the hotels.

Can anyone suggest similar in mainland Spain's Med coast?
Thanks

Mojacar Playa probably hasn't 100% of what you wish. However, I'll try to sell the resort and be honest.
1. The Paseo del Mediterraneo is a level promenade walk along the beaches. It has a cycle lane running parallel (known as the Psycho Lane in Lep's family). It is about a mile in length. You will see and hear cars in the parallel road. That's the bad news.
2. In the past three years a cliff walk has been made starting from the beach across the road from Hotel Indalo. To get to the entrance you have to walk through a beach car park and onto scrubland. Now, no cars, no flip-flops, just a fairly easy cliff walk with stunning views. Stop off at any of the mini beaches en route for the quietest swim you ever had. You'll arrive at the beach of Macenas where you will see fishermen enjoying themselves and a few swimmers and sunbathers too. You'll come across a few cars parked on the beach.
3. Pass the Spanish Fort on your left (it might be open; the Spaniards open it when they feel like it and close it faster). You're walking on the level since you left the cliff walk behind. Keep walking towards the coastal tower in the distance. There is an untarmacadamed road which might have a car or two (seldom more). But, you could see me driving at speed raising a dust cloud and displacing a few stones (for what else would you use a rented car?). The beaches are raised caused by the meeting of the African and European plates (never fear, you won't experience an earthquake).
4. You've reached the tower. It is unattended, but has a cross between a metal stairs and a metal ladder on which you can climb to the top and experience views you only dreamed of. You look back and see the seagulls flying below you.
5. Some name dropping - A few metres inland on top of small mountains you can see some villas used by superstars of pop. However, even if you're with me you won't meet them. Rod doesn't know me, but he can call me Lep if he wishes.
6. There are spurs off the main walk where you can walk a little inland and climb fairly steep hills. One such hill has picnic tables and a camouflaged area where you can watch the beautiful birds in their natural habitat. I should point out, it is now some time since you saw a car or my dust trail.
7. You can walk further towards Carboneras, but be warned if you are there during July/August you need to have plenty of water and there are no beach bars from now on. There is one back in the beach at Macenas, but that is usually closed (again unless the owner feels like opening the place).
8. Health Warning:- From here on you're walking at the perimeter of a desert (yes, a real desert, cacti, some handy wildlife, you'll feel like you are in Arizona - the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns were filmed a few miles away. Unless you have plenty of water and unlimited endurance go back to Mojacar Playa now.
9. OK! You've just met me and we decide to walk on. Stick to the coast (getting rougher now) you come to a little oasis of one restaurant; the menu is verbal with choice of bacon, beef, mutton, chicken. Enjoy a bottle of red with your lunch and after starting with gaspacho and finishing with ice cream you can set off again thinking you had been undercharged paying a tenner for the 3 course lunch including the bottle of wine. Note the local teenagers drinking red wine mixed with coca cola (ours could learn from them).
10. You pass several viewing points and have the choice of other viewing areas up on the main road where you will see some cars. The road is supported with concrete stilts. Before the motorway was provided (several miles inland) tourists used fear the drop while being bused from Almeria Airport.
11. You come across one of the biggest hotels you ever set eyes on which is covered by torn green nylon gauze - a protest from Greenpeace several years ago. Nobody ever checked into the hotel as it was built without full planning permission in a National Park. It is now in ruins. There is a beach in front of the hotel so enjoy a swim there to cool off.
12. You can now stick to the beaches (most of them deserted, even during high season) and walking west to arrive at the town of Carboneras. Carboneras is a beautiful town with panoramic views and awarded a cement factory by General Francisco Franco because of the lack of support for him. Thanks Francisco, the goddawful blott on the landscape is worse than goddawful. Carboneras is a beautiful town with every type of shop where expensive quality are available at a fraction of Irish prices (ideal for First Communicants, the family, and brides-to-be). I should point out that First Communions happen in Carboneras around October. So you can shop for the following June Sacraments if you wish. The market there is on Thursdays.

Leper Health Warning (don't ignore):- I was not joking when I advised to bring a plentiful supply of water and a baseball cap and teeshirt. Use suncream. When you are finished in Carboneras, get the bus back to the resort. Don't walk in flip-flops, trainers will just about do.

I've just realized that I haven't said anything to sell the resort (later perhaps!). But, if you are bringing young children along the cliff walk you'll need to exercise much common sense regarding safety, water, endurance etc. It would make sense to bring young children no further than the end of the cliff walk. Walk early in the day (start before 8.30am) to avoid the full might of the sun.

Last edited:
Thsnk you very much for your replies. A special thanks to Leper for the very detailed post. We'll have a bit of fun trying them all!

Looking back on my request, I should have added that we are two empty-nesters and will be there in autumn/winter only, so no worries about high temps.

Cyprus could be an option for you. Ryanair now flying direct to Paphos and it's a lovely island with an increasing amount of people wintering there.

Thsnk you very much for your replies. A special thanks to Leper for the very detailed post. We'll have a bit of fun trying them all!rat

Looking back on my request, I should have added that we are two empty-nesters and will be there in autumn/winter only, so no worries about high temps.

"Empty Nesters" I love it! If AsastairSC uses his head he should be able to pick up a 2 bedroom low-rise apartment (frontline) and centrally located for under €700 per month with all utilities included from early November to late March. I know he doesn't need two bedrooms, but no harm in having a spare in case somebody decides to migrate (like the swallows) to the Spanish Nest. Strange how this seems to happen us a lot when we are in Spain.

"Empty Nesters" I love it! If AsastairSC uses his head he should be able to pick up a 2 bedroom low-rise apartment (frontline) and centrally located for under €700 per month with all utilities included from early November to late March. I know he doesn't need two bedrooms, but no harm in having a spare in case somebody decides to migrate (like the swallows) to the Spanish Nest. Strange how this seems to happen us a lot when we are in Spain.

Suddenly Leper has me looking forward to winter. Can't wait!

Thanks so much to all the knowledgeable people for taking the time to reply. I have some photos of the beautiful Geranium walk in southern Tenerife. Is is too much to hope for that there's something like it on the mainland? (We like the vegetation)

Attachments

• gw2.jpg
    gw2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 16
  • gw1.jpg
    gw1.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 13
Back