Spanish Bank's ATM Charges

paulgreen

I am trying to put together a list of Spanish Bank's ATM charges they must be the only country in the EU that charges for euro withdrawals using a euro debit card I thought they were supposed to be free?

Anyway would be great if anyone has been in the the last 6 months if they could say which bank they used and how much were they charged or not?
I will start
Banco Sabedell (sol bank) Euro 1.80

must be the only country in the EU that charges for euro withdrawals using a euro debit card I thought they were supposed to be free?

Not everyone gets free ATM withdraws. Some banks apply ATM charges as part of banking fees plus sometimes local ATM operators apply fees at the ATM itself.

The obvious way around this is just to use your card when making payments.

I've holidayed in Spain for the past few years and have used a variety of banks' ATMs and never been charged. Unfortunately though I don't have a list except I know Santander were definitely one of them.

I am trying to put together a list of Spanish Bank's ATM charges they must be the only country in the EU that charges for euro withdrawals using a euro debit card I thought they were supposed to be free?

Anyway would be great if anyone has been in the the last 6 months if they could say which bank they used and how much were they charged or not?
I will start
Banco Sabedell (sol bank) Euro 1.80

There’s no “right” to free ATM withdrawals. Many banks in many European countries have a charge when you use ATMs, usually when it is ATMs not operated by them or by certain partners.
Furthermore, there are ATM companies that charge you for using their ATM. Those charges must (and usually are) very much shown when you use the ATM, and have nothing to do with your bank.

Just back from Spain yesterday and was charged €1.95 per withdrawal. Have never had these charges before either in Spain or France which we visit a couple of times a year.

Yes it also very clear what the charges are as you cannot continue with the transaction without agreeing the charges

Spanish banks charge to take money from ATMs if your card is from a different bank

that is 2 years old but it shows the charges

[broken link removed]

However, I have never been charged for taking money out in Spain with any of my Irish debit cards (ulster or pstb)

Last edited:
I have withdrawn cash with my debit card many times in numerous resorts in Spain and have never been charged. I am just back from Majorca and used my card in Santander Bank and wasn't charged

Just back from Spain yesterday and was charged €1.95 per withdrawal. Have never had these charges before either in Spain or France which we visit a couple of times a year.

Yes it also very clear what the charges are as you cannot continue with the transaction without agreeing the charges
Can you remember which bank ? I am using a PTSB Card

Sorry, can't remember as we were rushing to catch a bus and just took the nearest ATM. I was using my BOI Visa debit card

The charges mentioned above are CREDIT card withdrawals. I was using DEBIT card therefore not BOI charges

Have been regular traveller to Spain for 30+ years (at least annually). I know all the bank ATMs well that have not previously charged for withdrawals. Whilst in Spain this August (2018) I could not find a single bank ATM that didn't charge for withdrawals. (I use large UK bank Visa debit card). Something significant has changed!

I'm here now (and for the next few weeks, probably). If there are specific banks to check I'll keep an eye out for them. So far I've picked up that Santander and Bankia ATMs charge a fee of €1.75 or €1.80, can't remember which is which.

Edit: I have PTSB and KBC debit cardd, would expect the charges would be the same regardless of which card I use?

I generally bring a small bit of cash with me and then use my contactless visa debit card everywhere. Pay for food, drinks, groceries, transport etc. with a card. No charge for this. This is what I do in Ireland so why would I change habits when away??

Just back from Spain and I found a Unicaja bank atm (as oppose to a stand-alone machine) who didn't charge me.

Just came back from Benidorm (19th Oct 2018) and every ATM I tried wanted €2.90 regardless of the amount of € I wanted to withdraw using my pre-loaded Revolut Visa card. XE-ATM was one of the three machines I tried all asking for €2.90. I was also told by our Jet2 rep that every ATM in Benidorm now makes this charge

I was changed €1.80 in Santander ATM in August. Same in Bankia. Caja Rural free. Pursuing it with my bank (PTSB), but have to fully check the legalities first. Going to Spain again next week, so we'll see how that goes.

All of the major banks (BBVA, Sabadell, Santander and Bankia) all seem to charge at their ATMs in Spain, whereas the provincial/regional banks don't seem to do so.

I have a child in Spain and they have a linked bank account to mine, they took out money this week and there was no charge. It's not in a tourist area and it's Bank: LA CAIXA

Also it's a normal bank card from another EU country. It is not a VISA debit or credit card. Just in case that makes a difference.

We will also be in Spain soon and I'll check this out.

Back