"Southern Ireland"

Always find Eire has a derogatory connotation when used by people from Britian. It could just be my insecurity though.
Or your lack of constitutional knowledge... :)

Bunreacht na hÉireann:
Article 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

Article 8

1. The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.
So "Éire" would seem to be more correct than "Ireland" or any other variation on the same theme.

Or your lack of constitutional knowledge... :)

Bunreacht na hÉireann:
So "Éire" would seem to be more correct than "Ireland" or any other variation on the same theme.
I'm aware of the constitutional position, it's just when it's used by someone from England who is speaking English it sounds wrong... as I said, it's probably me reading something into it, not them meaning offence.

I'm aware of the constitutional position, it's just when it's used by someone from England who is speaking English it sounds wrong...
No are you sure that you mean England and not (Great) Britain or UK? ;)

Does anybody remember when Ali G pulled the proverbial out of folks in Northern Ireland? When, I think it was Paisley Jr, one header said he was "British" Ali asked "So is you here on holidays then?" Technically he has a point, it is Great Britain and Northen Ireland at the Olympics.

One, slightly off topic but directionally focussed all the same, point is that has anyone experienced in their travels (I have it all the time) people form certain parts of Europe labelling folks as being from "the west", some ideal notion of people within the EU, but Czechs Slovaks and Hungarians still use this term for Irish, Germans etc, and even Americans. Yet when I was in the MIddle East, if you had white skin and were from Europe or the Americas, you were a "westerner". What I'd like to know is, if anyone can help, what are western and eastern values. For me eastern is China, Japan, India, west are the Americas, Europe, Russia. Middle East is Middle East, Africa Africa and Oceania best forgotten (joke). Who are we?

No are you sure that you mean England and not (Great) Britain or UK? ;)
I mean England. Somehow it sounds worse with an English accent. ;)
Northern Ireland is part of the UK but is not British, something I like to remind Unionist friends about when the slagging starts. :D

I dont address letters to Finland "Suomi" and I dont address letters to Germany "Deutschland".

The Eire thing is half our fault too isn't it because at one stage "we" wanted them to use it.

It was on our stamps etc. Even during the war I think " we" painted " Eire" on our few merchant ships to show their neutrality.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK but is not British, something I like to remind Unionist friends about when the slagging starts. :D

Our unionist friends in N. I. could point out that these islands used ( at least ) to be called the British isles, and geographically many around the world still call these islands that. They can argue that N. Ireland never stopped being part of the British isles, and that they are British.

The Canary islands are under Spanish rule even though they are not in Spain - they are of course much closer to Africa than Spain.

Hawaii is part of the US but it is not in America either, geographically speaking.

in football terms the nothern ireland soccer team are usually referred to as Ireland on british tv and the team from 'eire' are usually called the republick of ireland. if you check your cupboards and look at foodstuff ie kelloggs there will be a phone line in case of complaint and it will always be ROI. same with loads of daily foodstuffs. another one the puzzles me is the 'Czech Replublic' never just Czech. you never hear anybody saying ' italian republic or portugese republic. and agree with almo. depends on where you are. pope Bendict apparantly said once that Turkey was in Asia and not europe but how many would agree with that. geographically its in both of course but where do most of use think it is? I just use ireland on post and when ordering stuff abroad. if they require a post code I just stick in a few xxx's and never had any problem. then again if a mobile number is compulsary I just use 0987654321 and never had any problems either.

Don't Finnish stamps have Suomi on them, and German stamps Deutschland?

(Tried the mulitquote, failed miserably)

(Tried the mulitquote, failed miserably)
Click on the little image on as many posts as you want to quote and then just click the button on the last one and you should get a message composition window containing all of the selected messages with quote tags around their contents. You can then edit at will and intersperse the quoted posts with your own comments. Don't blame me if some sensitive souls accuse you of being a pedantic nitpicker in replying to posts in this way though! :D

Must be really confusing for Donegal - being in the north of the Island of Ireland and also in "Southern Ireland"

It's not just me so - the use of 'The South' really gets on my nerves.

Last Summer in Culdaff, a village in Donegal that is geographically more northerly (I made that bit up) that most of Norn Iron, there were Nordies referring to it as The South. Only that I was their guest I would have rounded on them.

An English colleague who lives in Greystones once received an unsolicited letter from Cablelink addressed to The Occupier. He arrived into work the next day brandishing the letter saying "Would you people ever get over it !" ;)

Last Summer in Culdaff, a village in Donegal that is geographically more northerly (I made that bit up) that most of Norn Iron, there were Nordies referring to it as The South. Only that I was their guest I would have rounded on them.

I know of people in central Europe who had the same experiences in the days when more people there refered to "The West" and "The East".

I've never minded the British saying Eire, don't take anything out of it. What I do mind is being asked when I intend visiting the 'mainland' again as they'd all love to see me. One person who constantly says it is the daughter of a very good (British) friend of mine. Despite the fact that I've told her I live on the 'mainland' in my estimation, she continues to say it in almost all phone calls, except now, she laughs and apologises as soon as it's out of her mouth!:mad:

Back