South Africa.....which area?

Shopaholic

thinking of arranging a holiday to South Africa - just wondering what's the best area to stay in (to be near beaches, bit of nightlift, some shopping etc......)
thanks.

Cape Town or Durban, and you could look at the many key posts on S. Africa.

Hermanus is just a couple of hours drive, but I'm not sure how vibrant the night life is there.

You're right Seagull; I was thinking Cape Aghulas rather than Hermanus, which is about 100km from Capetown and of course less than that from the airport.

Hermanus is a lovely spot, but its essentially a small town. Spent 5 nights there in 2008 and I think there is only one late night bar. If even. We were there in the middle of the Whale Watching Festival ( a busy enough time for the town and it was still quiet!) Would definitely recommend it but don't go there for night life!
Once you hit the coast on the drive from Capetown to Hermanus, the scenery is fantastic.

We stayed in Capetown for 5 nights also and I would recommend it as a base for getting around. Plently of shopping, nightlife and lots of lovely restaurants also. Some fantasic beaches just south of Capetown too.

Umhlanga in Durban is very nice as are some of the previous suggestions. Bear in mind also that internal flights within SA are not very expensive so don't let flying into CT/Joburg limit your options.

Back