South Africa - safety concerns

mu66

I am hoping to travel to South Africa later in the year (with my husband) (September maybe). Just wondering if anyone out there has had any negative experience of travelling in South Africa - have heard stories of car-jacking, mugging at gun point and worse stories. While such things can happen anywhere (even in the eire!) there seems to be a hight percentage of such attacks in South Africa.
Would like to hear of any personal experiences (especially if you have had safety issues in S A).
We are hoping to fly - drive along the garden route, stopping off at some of the safari parks at the end (Shamwari or Amkhala, Elephant park(Addo)).
Thanks in anticpation.

We drove along the garden route, no problems though you do pass a number of small shanty towns and I wouldn't be stopping at the side of the road.

Cape Town is safe enough as long as you keep to the right areas, nothing different to Dublin or any other major city.

Shamwari is fantastic.

been there twice - loved it! We had no problems whatsoever but we didnt venture into Cape Town further than driving to where you get to Table Mt and also the Waterfront.
Drove from Jo'burg to Kruger and back. then flew to Port Eliz, drove down the garden route, stopping along the way. Down to Cape Point, up to winelands. next visit we headed up the west coast towards lamberts bay
No probs at all but i am safety conscious so I wasnt wearing bling or leaving valuables unattended.
You will have a great time, believe me

We did something similar last year and really enjoyed it.

Obviously you need to be safety conscious but don't let it take from your holiday.

We met another Irish couple at the end of our trip when we were on safari and mentioned how we could easily have spent more than 4 days in and around Cape Town - they looked surprised and said that they were bored after 3 days. They had been told not to hire a car and not to venture from the Waterfront.

We on the other hand hired a car, drove along the peninsula, climbed Table Mountain (instead of going up on cable car), visited the botanic gardens, the Castle, District Six Museum etc., etc. We also had no problem walking around Cape Town during day-light hours.

We honeymooned there for three weeks.

We had a great time, and no safety issues, but we were pretty vigilant at all times. We rented a car and drove widely, though we did avoid driving long distances after dark, and in some places that we stayed we were advised to drive instead of walk for local journeys such as to restaurants etc.

To be honest I feel a lot safer in general in Ireland then I did there, even though nothing happened. This wouldn't stop me from going back but I was conscience of the need to be alert.

We all hear about the safety issues in the country, and South Africans talk about crime the way the Irish talk about property so you'll not meet too many people down there who don't have a story to tell. The main thing is to be alert, don't be flashing your expensive goods around, and don't leave anything whatsoever on display in your car....and have a great time.

The only personal experience I had was being followed by two lads as I went to dump some leftover burgers and chips into a rubbish bin. I was aware that they were coming after me and was very freaked out, but it turned out they only wanted to eat my unfinished food from the bin...so for me it was a humbling illustration of the paranoia and deep poverty that can exist in the country.

Spent some time their and have a brother-in-law from Cape Town. Cape Town is fine from a safety perspective just don't go too far off the beaten track. Same rules apply anywhere you go so don't be over caution and let it affect your trip. Some extra caution would be advised for Jo'berg alright.

Garden route is amazing make sure you saty a night in Plett'berg Bay stayed here myself [broken link removed] i would highly recommend.

Was in SA last June with 2 children (I'm a lone parent); organised trip myself (with plenty of suggestions from AAM!), car hire, hotels/b&bs etc.,

travelled through Lesotho as well as Swaziland and did self drive in Kruger and visited the wetlands in St. Lucia - kicking myself afterwards that we were no distance from Mozambique and didn't realise - just to say we'd been there! :)

Fantasic trip, hope you have a great time!

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Am really looking forward to the trip.

Did the whole Captown , garden route drive and Krugar. Hire a car for Capetown,we drove to capepoint, winelands, camps bay etc had absolutely no probems in South Africa at all.Yes there are
some old black towns you drive through, i just wouldnt stop off you will be fine.

If you are really concerned make sure that you lock the doors when you are all in the car and don't stop close behind a car in front; always leave enough room to drive round it if necessary.

I have to say that Mrs K and myself have visited South Africa in excess of 70 times going back to 1992 and have never had a problem and I am sure that, provided you use your common sense, you won't either.

Enjoy your holiday.

Travelled to South Africa last year, hired a car for three weeks, began our journey in Cape Town and drove as far as to Plettenberg Bay on the Garden Route. We encountered no problems, from all the reports about South Africa and talking to South Africans most of the serious violence is resticted to Joburg and townships surrounding major cities. I have travelled quite extensively and I think South Africa is the most beautiful country I have visited. If you are staying in Cape Town make sure you visit Camps Bay its stunning, particularly late evening with sunset approaching. Finally you should include Stellenbosch its a gorgeous town with lovely Cape Dutch buildings and great pubs and restaurants. Enjoy your holiday!

Back