sound test failed

sham_bo

hi,
bought a new house almost 4 years ago and had concerns from an early stage that all might not be ok with the sound insulation. After repeated contact with the builders (I won't name them just in case!), they sent out a report of the sound test for the property. The house appeared to pass the test, but the report clearly stated that the test was taken on a date after we moved in, which obviously couldn't have happened. When i queried it, they sent out another report, well, the same report, just with a different date on it! They refused to entertain any of my concerns/protestations or requests thereafter.
i found out last November that a neighbour, living in an identical house, built at the same time, by the same builders etc had to have corrective work carried out on her house due to sound issues with the party wall. This prompted me to contact the builders again, and after months of constant phoning/faxing/emailing, they agreed to come out and do 'another' sound test. One of the rooms failed this test and apparently another room was marginal. They've agreed to come out and redo the wall that failed, but I am annoyed that it's taken this long and this much effort I had to go to in order to disprove what they were trying to fobb me off with in the first place. I'm thinking of taking legal advice on the matter with a view to either getting them to pay damages, redo every wall in the house, or even just to report them for apparently falsifying documents.

does anybody have a view on this? I paid a lot of money for the house, I think i'm entitled to be a bit peeved!!

feedback appreciated!

since 'sound' is part of the building regulations TGD E.... then someone must have signed off your dwelling to state it is in compliance with the regs.... you are correct to go after your builder but it is then up to him to go after the certifier.....

do you know what the construction of your party wall???? if it is timber framed then surely the timber frame manufacturer should ensure the construction complies to the regs..... again the builder can go after them....
if it is masonry it should be at least 215mm solid concrete block with 12.5mm plaster both sides....

Sham Bo,

Think you should also notify the Building Control section of your local council with regard to this problem and the (in)action of the builder.

Have also sent you pm as in my own house for about a year and have suspicion that my party wall may not be up to standard. Just looking to know what level of noises were transmitting through your party wall and whether we have the same builder!

Thanks.

Back