SOS IRELAND - Public Sector Pay Cuts!

The public sector hasn't changed fundamentally in decades. Of course we've had the one govt for the last 10yrs etc.

I love the way threads on the Public Sector get hijacked by the "The gospel according to purple" et al.

The original question of this thread was would public servants accept a pay cut. It would be intresting to have a debate on how to diplomatically pursue a course of action like this in real world terms rather that the back and forth of largely hysterical postings that have ruined what would otherwise have been an intresting thread. Please consider this when posting. (I'm not a mod, but someone had to say it.)

M

I love the way threads on the Public Sector get hijacked by the "The gospel according to purple" et al.

The original question of this thread was would public servants accept a pay cut. It would be intresting to have a debate on how to diplomatically pursue a course of action like this in real world terms rather that the back and forth of largely hysterical postings that have ruined what would otherwise have been an intresting thread. Please consider this when posting. (I'm not a mod, but someone had to say it.)

M

It would be interesting to hear your views. Posting that no one is putting forward your views is fine but the solution is to put them forward yourself.

I agree that it would be interesting to hear the views of the people on the inside. Talking to friends who are public servants and teachers has informed much of my view on these topics. I find the defensiveness of some of the posters here when the public sector is discussed to be childish. Others have made very insightful and interesting points.

I'd say you get peoples back's up with sweeping generalizations that vilify everyone in the public sector. What do you expect tbh. Its not useful either.

I'd say that people are reading what they want to read into my posts, rather than just reading my posts. I have never vilified everyone in the public sector.

Suggesting that partnership and lack of reform in the public sector is root of all the problems over the last 10yrs. Is vilifying the public sector in my book. The root cause is the failure of Govt in managing the economy. Plus the greed of developers and banks profiteering. The public sector is just responding to that. Just like people in the private sector. Not that is right, but the egg didn't come before the chicken. There needs to be change from the top down.

Suggesting that partnership and lack of reform in the public sector is root of all the problems over the last 10yrs.

I never said it was, in fact I said it wasn't. I did say that it was a contributing factor and reform is necessary to get us out of the mess.

As a public servant I'm on for a 10% cut. If things are as bad as is being reported then we all need to act responsibly. We need to start with a pay freeze.
I remember those bleak days in the eighties - a dark shadow of despair hung over our towns and cities - a plane ticket to America to work in a pizza bar was the dream! We need to do whatever we can to avoid going back to those bad bad days...

We have lost the run of ourselves in the last ten years....

The evil public sector, with the army clerical workers driving around in 4x4's and exec saloons, buying multiple properties to let? Or is that builders and taxi drivers?
Class. Those looking in from the outside have really no idea what partnership is about at all.

Back