Sony doing 'Great' Finanace Deals

D

Dearg Doom

Anyone tempted by the Sony ads on TV these days for their 'great' finanace deals should have a gander at the small print on the screen which informs you that the the APR is 23%. Great... :rolleyes

Beats the 29% at dixons. :)

maybe that's what they mean by 'Great'

-Rd

Harvey Norman are advertising 0% finance. looked at closely though this stands up provided that you stick to the agreement. ie first 17 months fixed amount repayment. 18th month 'balloon' payment. if you want you can continue on as before but the payments now last for 48 months and the apr is 26%.
Moral: Read the small print
Alternatively:Use the deal. It IS interest free if you'r ready by the 18th month to clear loan. And no credit card company will offer this.

Never buy a TV on credit. Ever. From anyone. Finance deals are dreamt up to increase sales. If it's a compelling offer, pay cash. If not, walk away from it. You can pay full price on your credit card for less. And if your credit card is maxed out, you can't afford it anyway.

True extopia.

Joeysoap. That's similar to the deal that dixons have. I wonder how many people start paying a couple of quid a month realise the impact of not clearing the balance in time.

Have you even been on one of those places and just wanted to grab some stranger who was about to sign the dotted line, slap them in the face and say "What are you thinking?"

No? Just me then!

-Rd

Finance Deals

Guys does this deal mean that you get 18months free finance ...???
Buy today an item for say €1,000 and pay in 18 months time and as long as you pay all the €1,000 on or before the 18 months are up your ok ....but if you fail to pay all or some by the deadline they will screw you in interest and penalties.
If so this is an excellent deal for a deciplined individual like myself ...I would simply put the €1,000 in a credit union account earning interest ( low but at least something ) and leave it there until the loan matured and clear it straight away ...the time value of money itself means i'm making money on this deal , when you discount the cash flow it would work out cheaper than €1,000.

Re: Finance Deals

You're not making ANY money on the deal TM. You might make some money on saving €1,000 in a credit union, but you'll be out of pocket by the amount you pay for the TV!!! Paying no interest is an incentive, but the issue here is the dodgy advertising put on these sort of deals. I'd say they catch a lot of people with this.

Piggy.

I agree with Piggy. Go in there and offer to pay the full amount up front and see how low they will go before you start working out the discounted value of next year's euro vs today etc etc blah blah blah. Believe me, they've done the sums too.

Of course if the price is the same, well then you are correct!

finance deals

for a disciplined 'payer off' the deals which offer 0% are good. I dont know if Currys or Dixons take offers on products. I do know that Harvey Normal will because I have been in their store when an offer was made for a tv and they accepted it.I doubt they take offers when theres a finance deal arranged, I imagine its full whack so you lose out there if you have the readies available. On the other hand if you dont have cash to hand but can make the famous 18th payment then you are clearly ahead compared with credit cards or banks.

Re: finance deals

Every retailer in Ireland will make a cash deal with you if you have the readies on you. If he doesn't he's a bit of an eejit! So, in general I'd say it's always better to try to strike a deal with cash...cheaper in the long run.

Finance Deals

Thanks for the advise guys ...I've never actually made a cash offer in a store before , how dose that work , what % dicount should you seek ...???, will the seller be willing to look at your offer first time off or will you have to get involved in a game of bluff ...???
Should you mention the various savings that the retailer can make from taking cash in your offer ie , credit card will cost you bank fees , I know you have a profit margin on this product that you could reduce ...and of course ( not that I promoting tax evasion ) but well I wont be needing a invoice/receipt mate ...

Hi The machine,

"I wont be needing a invoice/receipt mate ... "

I'd be surprised if that one worked on any retailer these days. I'd doubt it. I wouldn't mention the savings either cos they're already aware of them so it might seem condescending.

The trick to getting a really good deal is to lie but be nice about it. Be friendly and joke with them. Tell them you want the TV but you'll walk if that's the best they can do. Always be really squeky nice when doing this. The fact of the matter is this. Every retailer has a limit discount which he can give you. It may be 10%...it may be more. It's pretty hard to know. It depends on what his cost price is to be honest. He won't offer this discount the first time round though. He'll start off small and if he feels it's worth it and he likes you you'll get the whole discount eventually. Sometimes it's better to get extras thrown in as they can be expensive for you but might not cost him much.
I stress always being nice in these situations as retailers will usually let nasty customers walk rather than give them discount.

Piggy.

You might find it easier to do a deal with an independant retailer as opposed to a Dixons or Currys. You stand a better chance of getting to talk to the owner/decision maker in a smaller store rather than a part-timer in a larger multiple. It is a very competitive business so you have your work cut out for you but the competitiveness can work in your favour. Go in and suggest/imply that their competitor has just offered you a deal and can they match it. Cheeky, but it might work. If you don't ask you don't get! Good luck!!

Good point Davido. I was going to mention the competitor thingy, but it can be risky cos they can easily call your bluff and tell you that if you can buy that TV from their competitor for such and such a price you should go for it...which leaves you standing there with a big gawky look on your face and your wife mumbling "feckin eejit" under her breath for everyone in the shop to hear :lol
You just need to know how far you can push them I guess!

I get called a feckin' eejit on a daily basis as it is so it wouldn't be anything new to me!. If they do call your bluff, just go down the road and buy it there anyway. Good tip - don't bring the wife when buying a tv.

Lol...yeah. I'm not even married (whew!) but I've seen it happen.

Finance Deals

Cheers guys ...will give it a lash and see how i go ...will let yous know if i find any particular retailer agreeable.

Back