Sony bravia 40w5500

rmdt

Hi all,

Hoping to purchase a Sony 40w5500 very soon. Best price I have is from the uk. Are the uk and irish models the same. I understand that britain used mpeg2, while we use mpeg4. I suppose what I'm asking is will I be able to pick up the freeview in Ireland (when it becomes available) if I buy the tv from the uk?

Doesn't matter where you buy that TV, it won't support MPEG-4, so won't receive Irish Freeview without the use of an external decoder box. It's analogue tuner does cover both UHF and VHF channels, so it will receive all Irish broadcasts.
Leo

Thanks leo

Thats strange, the salesman in soundstore in Cork told me that it does work for mpeg4!! Sony site seems to back up your story though. Rememeber reading on a forum somewhere that it does both but can't for the life of me find it again!

Excerpted from this thread over on Boards..

"All the 5500 have MPEG4...most if not all 2009 model Sony's have MPEG4. You have to go back to the V4000 range to find models that dont have it. Even previous models of W/X/Z4000 have it. All 4500/5000/5500 models have it far as I can tell.

Sony dont specify MPEG4 on the Irish site as its a copy of the UK site and MPEG4 is not relevant in the UK even though it is in the spec of the machine.

This particular model definitely has MPEG4"

Back