son's part time job,unfairly treated.

wrecked

My son has had a part time job for almost 4 years, since age 16.

One of the managers seems to have always had a spite at him and his job was totally changed with no discussion or fore warning.

His hours have been slashed to just 4 a week now from about 20+, even though they are constantly employing new staff.

There was any amount of extra work over xmas, yet he was not offered any extra hours. He did ask but was told very rudely that when he started working he'd get extra hours.

Currently they have him working Friday evenings for 4 hours, this does not suit in the new year due to college but they are telling him "tough" and are refusing to accomodate him at all, even though there are other part timers in there.

He informed me yesterday that his name is'nt even on a rota in work anymore and it has been like that for some time. I feel he has been treated very unfairly, he's a quiet lad who wo'nt make a big fuss, hence mammy writing this.

Does anyone know if this is ok? is there anything he can do? thanks.

he did ask but was told very rudely that when he started working he'd get extra hours

This would seem to be the key. They don't seem to have a high opinion of him. As he is your son, I am sure you consider him to be hard working and to have a good attitude. But his employer might not think so.

There could be spite involved, but it's more likely to be that the manager simply does not consider your son to be doing a good job. Can he discuss it with someone in personnel? Or with another manager?

He may also be there too long and they want to break his service, employer's market these days.

A similar situation arose for a friend and his son. They wrote to the HR department and they took it very seriously. Investigation followed and he was upheld in the end. It was a very stressful experience for him and his parents. It was large multinational and there was a sectarian element involved. Good luck with it.

This would seem to be the key. They don't seem to have a high opinion of him. As he is your son, I am sure you consider him to be hard working and to have a good attitude. But his employer might not think so.

There could be spite involved, but it's more likely to be that the manager simply does not consider your son to be doing a good job. Can he discuss it with someone in personnel? Or with another manager?

Surely they would just show him the door if this was the case?

My advice would be to put his grievances in writing to HR, he has nothing to lose by doing this. And keep a note of all discussions or comments made to him. I had a similar experience where I thought I was being treated unfairly and not only did I get it resolved, but it also made me feel better about myself that I hadn't allowed myself to be walked on. I also agree with Mr. Man about Brendan Burgess comments - if your son has been there that length of time, they obviously thought he was doing an acceptable job. I hope he gets satisfaction.

Having seen this previous thread I would believe anything of employers these days. If it were my son I would get him to make contact with these people and familiarise himself with his rights [broken link removed]

Thanks all.

He has yet again put a request in for a change to his hours or at least some discussion. This time he did it in writing. We've had a good talk about his work and while he admits he may not be the best in the world, he really does believe he has been victimised. An example he gave was being moved out of the butchery department where he had worked and been trained up for over 18 months 5 days a week, onto the shop floor for one evening. Low and behold the head butchers 16 year old brother started in my sons position a week later. I have told him about this forum and he is very interested in taking this further.

Back