Sons friend broke window with football, what to do??

How big a window is it?

Is it double/glazed?

It's just that €340 seems very high.

i have a question along these lines too! some local kids were playing in the garden at the back of our house(not their garden either they jumped the gate) one of them tried to jump over the fence into my garden and his feet went through the fence leaving a massive hole!
we were in the house at the time and saw it all happen.found the kid who did it and called round to his parents.didnt really want them to pay for the damage just wanted to let them know what had happened as the lad was playing in someone elses garden without their permission and could have injured himself jumping my fence!they were really nice about the while thing and have offered to pay for it.was just wondering what others think would you take the money or just fix it yourself? the fence will only cost about 40e!!

For the sake of €40 and neighbourly peace, I would just pay it.

I think you've done the right thing getting it repaired on your insurance but having the other parent pay any excess. I'm sure the other parent can't afford to pay €340 either (just because she offered doens't mean she can easily afford it).

You were a considerate neighbour but haven't had to pay out for something you couldn't afford. I think also that if a similar situation happens in the future and you are the parent who has to offer to pay the bill, you would be happy with this solution too.

And one thing's for sure, parents of teenagers need to stick together!

You are responcible for you kids wheather or not you told then to play football near/in your garden or not. They were playing football beside your home. If you were supervising your children you could have seen he was playing in an innapropriate place and told them to get lost. You were not and so an accident happened. I would claim of my insurance and get the neighbour to pay 50 of excess.

Insurance pays the claim and the boys share the cost of the excess but only tell them after his junior cert. This way that boys will realise to their detriment that their actions cost them a fair bit of pocket money. Depending on their remorsefullness, pay half of your son's share. Everyone, eventually happy.

ps - reminds me of an incident when I was 15 and playing in a neighbours house with 2 other lads also 15, the 4th lad was 13 and it was his house. He asked us if we wanted to have a pillow fight. The others smashed the heads off each other and big mess. I did very little cos I could see the mess starting and I began to clean up before his ma came home. Room was clean when we left. An hour later the lad's ma rings my ma to complain that I had broken the vac. My ma went over and collected the vac and got it repaired for the princely sum of 10p - a washer ! The other lad's ma let herself down all because the son said that I was to blame. I stopped being his pal and ma's had nothing to do with other either.

sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a similar issue!
about 3 weeks ago there was a gathering in my next door neighbours garden. This is a recently rented house. I heard a bang against one of my downstairs windows and before I had time to check what it was the neighbours child called to get his tennis ball back as it was now in my garden. He was accompanied by a girl in her early twenties but not a resident of next door afaik. I said I heard the bang and she said it was the ball hitting my fence. I went outside and checked my windows but couldn't see anything - it was early evening and my garden is north facing. I gave the kid his ball back and though no more of it. Until yesterday morning with the sun shine hitting my window - and there is a huge crack in the window pane.
I am reluctant to confront the neighbours as I would say they could care less as they are tenants. I would be afraid of intimidation as a result.
What advice would you give?

I am reluctant to confront the neighbours as I would say they could care less as they are tenants. I would be afraid of intimidation as a result.
What advice would you give?

You shouldn't assume that tenants couldn't care less. As an ex-renter myself I know that many tenants look after their rented accomodation just as much as if they owned it themselves, and that the concept of neighbourliness is not limited to owner occupiers.

Being afraid of intimidation, in the absence of any evidence that this might be the case, is simple paranoia.

By all means approach the tenant.

I have also been a renter for years and always took care of the property I live in. Sorry if my statement appeared to be a generalisation.
However, from what I have observed so far of these particular tenants I would be very wary of approching them.
Anyway, if I did, I have no proof that they cracked my window.
Hence I am looking for advice.

Pinkie, happened to me a few years ago, but I didn't see anyone/thing hit the window. Someone suggested it could have been a bird crashing into the window that caused the damage - is this a possibilty or is too much of a coincidence not to be your neighbours! I would approach them in a friendly way and explain what's happened, tread carefully until you know their initial reaction.

paddy, I guess a bird is possible. it just seems too much of a coincidence that I heard a bang and then the kid wants his ball back. I guess will just have to claim on the insurance.

The right thing to do in all circumstances is minimise the cost for your neighbour. She will be obviously glad to pay any excess on your insurance if there is one. Stuff happens all the time and she'll do the same for you some day.

Claim on your house insurance (that's what you have it for) and ask the child's parent to pay the excess. This happened me some years ago and thats what we did. Premium will not go up.
This seems the best idea.

Back