Someone else cashed a cheque made out to me

The guy I have been speaking to about this in the Department says that he's can't give out a copy as it's "not normal protocol" and that " it's the Pay Master General's cheque. " He seemd sympathic to this situation yet powerless, or that he didn't have the courage to act out of normal proceedure. I put it to him that if he put me in touch with the Pay Master General I could explain the situation to them..but he wasn't happy to do that, instead referring me back to the bank/Gardai route.

They didn't seem to have a problem finding the cheque though. He was able to tell me that someone has scralled the name of the person who it was made out to on the back to the cheque. I say scralled because they could only make out the family name of the signature.

I am going to follow your post Brendan and take this a further step. As a next step in this I think I'll contact customer service with the intention of then putting this down in a letter for the attention of the omnbusman. And see how it progresses from there.

I'll keep you posted if there's any developments.

**UPDATE**

Went to new solicitor with this old problem.

He contacted member senior member of Gardai locally, who gave this case due diligence. He got to the bottom of this quite quickly.

Turns out that someone who was entitled to lodge check did so but didn't recall as they were quiet ill at that point in time. They lodged it in a Credit Union who in turn kept the money in a different account, for some reason.

Junior Gardai or Department help with this left a lot to be desired so for anyone in a similar situation: keep at it.

Thanks for coming back with the update, Hank. I'm still a bit confused by what is meant by 'kept the money in a different account'. Don't give out any information that would breach your confidentiality, but you might like to expand on this.

Back