Someone cashed a cheque belonging to me!!

avontuur

Hi everyone,
I did some work over christmas (through a recruitment company)
Long story short, up until this week I still hadn't been paid. I phoned the agency, they investigated and told me the cheque had been cashed Monday! (not by me)
They said they would phone me next week after they talk to the bank it was lodged in.
So what happens next? Do the gardai get involved as well?
Thanks in advance

Did you get the cheque ? How was it sent to you ? Was it ever issued to you ? Sounds like they have an internal problem or they are fobbing you off to buy time.

No I never received the cheque, all i received was a payslip in the post. I phoned them when i got the payslip and asked what the story was, lady on the phone said she'd investigate it. She got back to me 2 days later to tell me it was cashed.
She had to move it up the chain of command. She phoned back later that evening to say that they had contacted the bank and they were investigating the possibility of fraud.
She was very apologetic, said she has never dealt with this situation before and as far as she knew the Gardai would have to get involved.

She was very apologetic, said she has never dealt with this situation before and as far as she knew the Gardai would have to get involved.
So they (the clients) know it's fraud and seem to know you were not involved. Did they give any hint as to when you can get paid? The situation with the Guards is simple - you know nothing and never received the cheque, what more do they need from you?

It should not take very long to trace history of the cheque. The business that issued the cheque should have established at this stage where the cheque was cashed through their bank and the bank would know what account it went into. It is very difficult to cash a cheque without lodging it to an account. The bank would have photocopies of the cheque front and back.

avontuur,

a number of things strike me, it appears you still have not been paid. the issuing party have accepted your non receipt of the cheque and they should honor their commitment to you and re issue a cheque.

In order for the gardai to get involved the business need to make a statement of complaint to the gardai as they are the injured parties. These investigations are slow and you should not be out of pocket, the person may well be identified but the money may never be re couped.

If I was to make assumptions , the business never wrote the cheque and are fobbing you off, someone within the company cashed the cheque and a cover up is on or someone who you may well know intercepted it and cashed it.

Whatever happened and the potential outcome you should be issused with a fresh cheque now.

Ask them when they are doing this, their reply will dictate your next step

Thanks for all the replies.
I've been told by the agency that they will send me a new pay cheque, which is great. I'll keep ye updated as and when there's any developments.
I should also let you know that the amount of money I'm talking about is small, but i guess fraud is fraud.
Watch this space.

Why on earth are people still sending cheques? Why do they not just transfer the money directly to your bank account?

Brendan

@Brendan Burgess - still a lot of cheques being written.

For reference : Cross out the words 'Or Order' and initial it (by mistake many cheque books do not have 'Or Order' on them)
Cross Cheque 'NOT TRANSFERABLE'

Now its non negotiable.

Bank transfers can be just as problematic in their own way. When they go wrong it is horrific. I personally prefer to receive a cheque and I get to decide where and when I want to lodge it

Back