Some would be better off paying for their nursing home themselves instead of using Fair Deal Scheme

No. It's actually a loan. Wait until I do the revised tables, which will probably be tomorrow and it should be clearer.

Ok Brendan. I look forward to the Table - and remain perplexed in the meantime. Can you take the following into account also? -

54 Can I repay the loan to the HSE instead?

No. Under the legislation the loan
must be repaid to the Revenue
Commissioners.

Not sure that it's particularly relevant? The HSE gives you the money, but you repay it via the tax system as people are more likely to repay it that way.

brendan

Just to make sure I understand this Sarenco.

To be honest Brendan, I was just trying to make sure I grasped twofor1's point - it wasn't meant to read as a rhetorical question.

I still find the idea being admitted to a scheme but then not accepting any payments under that scheme a bit odd.

However, I very much take twofor1's point that there is no requirement to apply for ancillary state support (aka the nursing home loan) once admitted to the FD scheme.

I still find the idea being admitted to a scheme but then not accepting any payments under that scheme a bit odd.

I found it very very odd as well, but that is not really the way to look at it.

Admission or not to the Fair Deal Scheme is irrelevant.

Your home is excluded three years after you enter the nursing home. Not, as I originally assumed, three years after you enter the Fair Deal Scheme.

So if your means are going to be in excess of the cost of the nursing home, don't bother applying for the Fair Deal Scheme for the first three years. (Unless you think that by being in, you will not be affected by any later tightening of the scheme.)

Brendan

Back