Some universities allow external students to do modules on their undergraduate courses

When I retired I did a three year certificate course in Archaeology in UCD. It was fantastic, field day trips to archaeological sites etc.

At the time you could opt for an "interest" only course that did not necessitate doing any exams/assessment.

UCD also runs extra-mural courses similar to TCD's "Evening and short courses"

But the ones in open learning require a serious commitment of time and money.

Edit: Some of the TCD courses are much more than extra-mural courses.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan, I see they have Spanish @185 yoyos for 8 weeks. Not bad really. I might take the plunge. Trying to get by on "hasta la vista bebe" has its limitations....:D:D:D

DCU's undergraduate distance learning courses are much more comprehensive that TCD or UCD.

Hi Purple

This thread is about doing a part-time course out of interest rather than being a full time student.

Are you saying that DCU offers part-time courses by distance learning? Could you provide a link as I can't find them.

Brendan

They have short courses here but they are accredited.
I click on "High Performance Computing in the Cloud" and it brings me to a page with no info about that course. Not a promising start. But on par in my experience with the convoluted way that most colleges seem to lay out their websites making info difficult to find... :rolleyes:

Thanks Brendan, I see they have Spanish @185 yoyos for 8 weeks. Not bad really. I might take the plunge. Trying to get by on "hasta la vista bebe" has its limitations....:D:D:D
There are lots of free apps (Duolingo, Babel, etc) and Youtube videos where you can learn at your own pace.

This thread is about doing a part-time course out of interest rather than being a full time student.
The thread title doesn't really reflect that intent.
It manages to be both more specific ("UCD") and more general ("undergraduate modules").

The thread title doesn't really reflect that intent.
It manages to be both more specific ("UCD") and more general ("undergraduate modules").

But the first line of the post was very clear

UCD has an open learning programme where you can take one or more modules out of interest, as distinct from studying for a degree.

But as you were clearly reading the thread title to mean "UCD has some very interesting courses for full-time students" , which I thought would have been obvious, I have edited the thread title.

Brendan

There are lots of free apps (Duolingo, Babel, etc) and Youtube videos where you can learn at your own pace.
I use them, but TBH, I don't think it compare to doing a course. I think I learn better in a formal setting.

I use them, but TBH, I don't think it compare to doing a course. I think I learn better in a formal setting.
I think this thread is more for the idle curious rather than those who are seeking qualification.

Athlone IT also have some online / part-time courses. Some covered under Springboard and some smaller ones by July Stimulus - not sure what that is.

I think this thread is more for the idle curious rather than those who are seeking qualification.
I'm not looking for a qualification but I do find the interaction with a tutor and fellow students is more conducive to learning, particularly in language learning, as there's opportunities to practice in live situations.

Back