some one owes me money

E

effortless

as a fairly regular poster on the homes and gardens,i am after a bit of advice from you finaincal boffs.

did a refurb for a friend of a friend and knew from the outset it would be trouble

agreed fixed price to accomadate her buget of 10k wasnt going to make 500 out of it as it was a favour ,did all the extras etc and i only get paid 4k and then she says he not happy with the work (work quality was top class )i also did considereable amounts for fast food out;let.any how i get a phone call from her hubby telling all this blah blah

now she opened her business beauty salon the day i got the phone call and is thriving by all accounts

now my solictor tells me that her fellow has done the same to one or two others any ideas

if i wasnt married with kids my sledge would be running amok

can i go and get my materials that i put in out like 8 sinks ,kitchen sinks light fittings carpets shame i cxant take the floor tiles up and carpets.

"as a fairly regular poster on the homes and gardens,i am after a bit of advice"

Hi Effortless,

Sorry to hear about this problem. Indeed you are a regular and much appreciated poster and hopefully others here can give you good advice about recovering your expenditure/payment whilst staying within the law.

Best of luck with your endeavours and thanks again for your many helpful posts.

thanks

i hope so as already said if it was 10 years ago i would be asking how to post bail just joking

Re: Owed money

I would suggest sending a bll, followed by a reminder and soon thereafter a solicitor's letter and institute a claim in the District Court. At least the person may wish to avoid publicity. Forget the friendship element as you have been abused. You are wise not to take law into your own hands as you will be the loser then.

Good luck

slim 8)

Legal route is definitely the one to take - sounds like an open and shut case. Always a danger the other side simply don't have the resources to meet your claim and costs but, given that they're in business, that seems less of a worry in this case.

As soon as you do go the legal route, do not communicate with them under any circumstances. Refer any contacts to your solicitor. These people are not your friends. Don't let them enjoy the privilege of friendship-don't talk to them.

Hi effortless

The legal route seems to be the only route. It's unlikely that you would be able to take back the stuff you installed. To have a right to do so, you would have to have a specific "retention of title" clause in your contract.

The legal route is a hassle and it takes time, but it does get there in the end. They may well pay up on receipt of the solicitor's letter or civil bill.

Brendan

money owed

ok, the ball is rolling now ,letter sent so i will update later

thanks for the replies

Re: money owed

When sending the bill state that the materials remain under Your ownership until the invoice is paid. I 'believe' that You a re legally entitled to recoup this anyway irrespect of the labour costs without having to go through the legal process. - better check out that one though.

Remember that car lease firms are entitled to repossess cars - by whatever manner or means when payments are defaulted.

keep us posted as I am sure there are other people in similar situations who would like to learn from Your experiences also - which is what this site is all about!

ninsaga

Back