Some Advice on Wife Staying at home

Zipiter

Some advice if you will.

My wife had been self employed (part time) for the past four years. She declared everything and was averaging about €5k pa. It wasn't much but paid a bill or two.
Last March she closed up as it wasn't feasible to continue anymore.
She has no plans to return to the workforce.
I work full time in a decent public sector job.

I know that my wife will not be entitled to any social welfare payment due to my salary BUT should she be signing on anyway to receive credit towards pension? Or for any other reason?

Thank you

If Im reading the conditions correctly in order to qualify for voluntary contributions you need 520 prsi contributions. She has not got that.

So she will be sponging ;) from my pension as she will not qualify for anything else. Am I right in saying that?

This is a very important issue for your families finances. I am no expert but I believe that a self employed person must pay PRSi and does qualify for a pension. I certainly hope so. If your wife signs on for jobseekers allowance she will be credited with prsi and so build up a pension entitlement. This while she may not qualify for any jobseekers payment due to your income.

Try posting this again on Monday you may get a wider response.

She should apply for job seekers allowance. However, JSA is available to those seeking work
If she is not entitled to a payment, she may be able to sign on for credits.

She has 5 years previous employment when her employer paid prsi contributions.

1 year on dole when let go from above employment.

2 years Back to Work Allowance when she set up her business.

4 years self employed with no prsi contributions.

No investment income. Ive a small AVC worth about 20k currently.

Back